Thread: How to make Rhythmbox "Quit" when I press X in left corner?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How to make Rhythmbox "Quit" when I press X in left corner?

It drives me nuts when I click the X in the upper left corner of the Rhythmbox window and the Launcher Icon disappears but Rhythmbox does not end its process (and keeps playing music).

There used to be a way to change this behavior in 10.04 by disabling the "Status Icon" in the Plugins section of Rhythmbox. But with Unity, there is no status icons anymore--there's Launcher icons.

When I press the X in the window's corner and the Launcher Icon disappears from the Launcher, I want Rhythmbox to be closed (no process running). Anybody know how to configure this?

Far as I can tell, the only way to end the Rhythmbox process is to press CTRL+Q. But this is not consistent across other applications in Ubuntu. ALL other applications respond to ALT+F4 to end the process.
    Idea #26902: Give users "global control" over applications' outgoing internet connections
    http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/26902

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to make Rhythmbox "Quit" when I press X in left corner?

That will not work. You have to go to "Quit"

This is presumably to prevent accidental closure. You can use <Ctrl> <Q> but other methods will not work.
    Last edited by traditionalist; May 31st, 2012 at 05:59 PM.
    There is always a way, but it might not be the best way, or your way!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by nrundy View Post
    It drives me nuts when I click the X in the upper left corner of the Rhythmbox window and the Launcher Icon disappears but Rhythmbox does not end its process (and keeps playing music).

There used to be a way to change this behavior in 10.04 by disabling the "Status Icon" in the Plugins section of Rhythmbox. But with Unity, there is no status icons anymore--there's Launcher icons.

When I press the X in the window's corner and the Launcher Icon disappears from the Launcher, I want Rhythmbox to be closed (no process running). Anybody know how to configure this?

Far as I can tell, the only way to end the Rhythmbox process is to press CTRL+Q. But this is not consistent across other applications in Ubuntu. ALL other applications respond to ALT+F4 to end the process.
    Mouse up to the top of screen and Choose Music > Quit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes, I know this guys.

but this is VERY unorthodox. There should be a way to make Rhythmbox behave like EVERY OTHER application installed on Ubuntu.
    Idea #26902: Give users "global control" over applications' outgoing internet connections

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yes, I know this guys.

but this is VERY unorthodox. There should be a way to make Rhythmbox behave like EVERY OTHER application installed on Ubuntu.
    The world is sometimes very unjust. Things are as they are and not as one thinks they should be.
    There is always a way, but it might not be the best way, or your way!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yes, I know this guys.

Believe or not it used to be the other way around. And bugs were raised asking for the x button to minimise to tray instead of quit. This was under gnome2.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Guys, in 10.04 there was a way to make clicing X QUIT rhythmbox.

My post is to find out if there is a similar configuration availalbe in 12.04. Regardless of whether clicking X should close or quit by default.

The "old" way of making rhythmbox quit when clicking X was to disable the Status Icon. But this option no longer appears in the plugins sections. Is there a "new" way of doing it? Is there another way of doing it?

Anybody?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Believe or not it used to be the other way around. And bugs were raised asking for the x button to minimise to tray instead of quit. This was under gnome2.
    Well clearly media players should always provide a configuration option that X closes or minimises to tray. My favoured player (guayadeque) has this, and many others. Why the big two, rhythmbox and banshee, don't have this option is just silly.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post
    Well clearly media players should always provide a configuration option that X closes or minimises to tray. My favoured player (guayadeque) has this, and many others. Why the big two, rhythmbox and banshee, don't have this option is just silly.
    Yeah.. rhythmbox used to have it. It's too bad it wasn't thought of for 12.04.