Thread: Realtek RTL8111/8168B not working with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Beans

Realtek RTL8111/8168B not working with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Hi,

It seems that this widespread problem. I am wondering if there were recent advances.
    Basically the Internet through wired connection, is slow, with time intervals where there is no connection at all. This apparently is a problem with Realtek RTL8111/8168B card.
    There are two known problems:

1) The driver r8169 does not function properly, and one needs to use r8168 instead. I did that by following the instructions of http://unixblogger.wordpress.com/201...ethernet-card/

2) Some issues with dual booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu, which apparently is solved by a hard restart (holding the power button down for 30 s, and unplugging the power cord for 3 mins)

I tried both solutions but to no avail.
    Any ideas? Thanks in advance

System specifications:

Aurora R3
    i7-2600K
    16GB RAM
    Dual Boot Windows 7/Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Post Re: Realtek RTL8111/8168B not working with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Quote Originally Posted by ChemMeister View Post

1) The driver r8169 does not function properly, and one needs to use r8168 instead. I did that by following the instructions of http://unixblogger.wordpress.com/201...ethernet-card/
    Note that Realtek released a new version of r8168, very recently, version 08.31.00.

I install it as follows and it always works on my system:

1) Download the driver and expand it into a new directory. cd to the top directory in the expanded directory.
    2) sudo make clean modules
    3) sudo make install
    4) Verify that new file r8168.ko exists in directory /lib/modules/3.2.0-24-generic/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/realtek/
    5) blacklist r8169
    6) Edit /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and add a line with "r8168" on it.
    7) sudo depmod -a
    8 ) sudo update-initramfs -v -u -k `uname -r`
    9) Reboot

Note that on item 8, those are grave accents, not quote marks.

Run "sudo lspci -v" to make sure kernel module r8168 is "in use". If it is, and you still cannot make a connection, something else is wrong. Good luck!

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

Re: Realtek RTL8111/8168B not working with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

I've had no problems with installing the r8168 drivers from realtek.
    the credit for the following goes to another on this forum (can't remember who).

First, change the shell from 'sh' to 'bash' in autorun.sh that comes with it.

then run sudo ./autorun.sh

blacklist r8169 and add r8168 to /etc/modules.

or install the drivers the long way, as others suggest.

Finally when you shutdown and either unplug or use the switch on the PSU then give it a couple minutes and reboot.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    Note that Realtek released a new version of r8168, very recently, version 08.31.00.

1) Download the driver and expand it into a new directory. cd to the top directory in the expanded directory.
    3) sudo make install
    4) Verify that new file r8168.ko exists in directory /lib/modules/3.2.0-24-generic/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/realtek/
    5) blacklist r8169
    7) sudo depmod -a
    9) Reboot

Run "sudo lspci -v" to make sure kernel module r8168 is "in use". If it is, and you still cannot make a connection, something else is wrong. Good luck!

Tim
    Thanks, after further testing, i have came to realize that it must be something else. Because I get the same behavior whether I use a wired or wireless connection. Basically the internet connection hangs for 10-15 seconds sometimes even longer with no internet connection. I am not sure what is going on.

Beans

In my case, ubuntu fails to boot in 50% attempts. I thought it is a driver issue and installed r8168. This has enabled 1G/s ethernet (wow!), but the spontaneous hangups during the system start are still the case

This is a tail of dead boot dmesg:
    Code:
    [   17.904991] r8168: eth0: link down
    [   17.905912] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
    [   17.907060] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
    and nothing more in this dmesg file.

This is a part of a healthy dmesg:
    Code:
    [   17.904991] r8168: eth0: link down
    [   17.905912] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
    [   17.907060] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
    [   20.636068] r8168: eth0: link up
    [   20.637217] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
    [   20.896671] r8168: eth0: link up
    Hints, anyone ?

Beans

Hi,

I had a similar problem with Ubuntu 10 and 11. In both instances I gave up trying after several days trying to fix the same problem and just went back to Windows (I'm not an advanced user and I just use my laptop for simple things - Internet, videos, word processing - and troubleshooting problems for hours on end doesn't reward me, I just want a working computer). However, this aging computer has since forced me to rethink and I'm now running 12.04. The same problem is there.

I didn't know whether to include it on this message or to make a new thread because my specs say that I have a slightly different model of on-board Ethernet/Wireless. Official specs state it as being:

Realtek RTL8102E (Onboard)
    LiteOn WN6302L Wireless LAN

Wired works fine but there's nowhere convenient enough to sit close enough to my router. Wireless seems to work fine initially. It'll connect without a problem but will just stop working after between 10 and 20 Mb of data is downloaded (trying to get VLC for example). The only way I can get the wireless working again is from a restart.

I've tried the 8111/8168 replacement on numerous occasions on versions 10, 11 and now 12 to no avail. Any ideas?

Beans

3) sudo make install
    5) blacklist r8169
    7) sudo depmod -a
    9) Reboot

Tim
    This worked perfectly for me, but only after I replaced the cat5 patch cord from the computer to the wall in my office, and the cat5 patch cord from the wall to the router in the computer room. Apparently, this nic only works with cat5e cables...Wierd!

Beans

Hello,

Some additional hints I had to follow trough to get it working with me:

* Follow instrunctions by ratcheer, but DO read the README file in the driver, specifically you might want to know this:

You can check whether the driver is loaded by using following commands.

# lsmod | grep r8168
    # ifconfig -a

If there is a device name, ethX, shown on the monitor, the linux
    driver is loaded. Then, you can use the following command to activate
    the ethX.

# ifconfig ethX up
    * "Oh, and if you are annoyed that now your network interface is eth1 instead of eth0 as it used to be, remove the two lines from /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules that end with NAME=”eth0″ and NAME=”eth1″."

(credit: http://www.twm-kd.com/linux/realtek-...-ubuntu-linux/ )

* Add r8168 to /etc/modules to make network available on boot, I think this is necesary if you use mounted network locations in /etc/fstab...

LP,
    Jure

Beans

thanks very much, it really works for me, thank you for saving my days!

Beans

3) sudo make install
    5) blacklist r8169
    7) sudo depmod -a
    9) Reboot

Tim
    This worked for me. I logged in and just wanna say a big thanks to you. Best regards