CONFIGURATION

Ubuntu 12.04 with the latest updates (up to the 26th of May)
Asus Zenbook UX31 with Elantech touchpad updated with the latest BIOS

PROBLEM

Trying to use the touchpad with my right index finger while resting my left index finger on the lower part of the touchpad (left button area) is not working. The pointer is not moving or sometimes it is detected as if I was trying to do two-fingers scrolling.

DETAILS

I’ve checked the very big thread at the forums and also the great compilation at Ubuntu site. After applying most of the tips and fixes there, I came into this patch from Chase Douglas, and activated left click and right click support.

Finally I came into Synaptics manpage explaining the Synaptics configuration to try to understand if some setting was missing. I tried the AreaBottomEdge setting to try to disable the lower part of the touchpad and although it is working (no movement detected at that area and no clicks) my problem still remains as I guess the problem is two-fingers being detected on the touchpad. Maybe a solution is to disable two-fingers scroll, but I would like to have the same functionality as in Windows.

Does anyone know what am I doing wrong? I really want to have this functionality and I don’t know if this is something usual. I don’t mind getting my hands “dirty” if I have to dig into low level stuff (developer here!), but I still think that I’m doing something wrong.

Could someone please help me? It is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Roberto Sosa