Thread: Memory usage compared

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Memory usage compared

Wow, I just took a look at the memory usage on my Salix (Slackware based) box here at work, and was shocked to find it idling at less than 140MB of RAM, running KDE 4.5.5! Ubuntu 12.04 on my ThinkPad T61 idles at about 300-400MB.

Just sayin'...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mac OS X 10.6.8
    Debian Sid - Openbox
    Ubuntu 12.04
    Slackware 14 - Openbox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Memory usage compared

I am totally with you man - I just put it aside in my list of distro's that take an ridiculous low amount of resources to function.

Sorry - as a former pentium I owner (short of 2005), I always appreciate a low resource distro. Also - slackware was the first distro I ever used - because at that time, it promoted itself as a distro that can run on a fat32 filesystem. Sorry, in 2005, I was running Win98 OS, due to my low resource computer, along with amigo linux distro.
    Last edited by PeterP24; May 31st, 2012 at 12:30 AM. Reason: added "low" word to the message!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Memory usage compared

I'm probably going to switch back to Slackware on the T61. I thought I was liking 12.04 pretty well, but I'm actually getting kind of annoyed with it, and Unity. Although I might go with Bodhi, I'm liking what I'm seeing there.
    Mac OS X 10.6.8
    Debian Sid - Openbox
    Ubuntu 12.04
    Slackware 14 - Openbox