Thread: [help]problems in auto-mount windows partition and fstab

Beans

Question [help]problems in auto-mount windows partition and fstab

Hi
    I am new to ubuntu and now having some problems in editing the fstab file.

At first everything works all fine, the windows partitions are auto-mounted at boot, and I have access and permissions to them. But somehow I installed ntfs-config, and then uninstalled it because error message pops up every time I boot. I am not sure whether this has modified my fstab or not. Later I backed up the fstab, added noauto,user options to the windows partitions, and they were no longer accessible. So I recovered fstab using the back-up. But I lost some permissions to those windows files/directories.

Not sure I am describing it clearly. Basically I did something that makes me lost permissions to windows files, but I am not sure what it is because I recovered fstab by back-up, so it could be ntfs-config, but I have no idea of what the fstab looked like before ntfs-config installation.

This is a copy of my fstab:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>

proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
    #Entry for /dev/sda11 :
    UUID=4fbb670d-3a0b-44df-83d1-59095081354f / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    #Entry for /dev/sda9 :
    UUID=926e2475-9582-487c-ba48-736655ee1547 /boot ext4 defaults 0 2
    #Entry for /dev/sda10 :
    UUID=099795b2-ebea-4e98-9b35-b40cd0eceb81 /home ext4 defaults 0 2
    #Entry for /dev/sda1 :
    UUID=64BC278DBC2758B6 /media/M_fM__VM_0M_eM__JM__M_eM__MM_7 ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=0222 0 0
    #Entry for /dev/sda2 :
    UUID=8A2EF9D02EF9B573 /media/System_Reserved ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=0222 0 0
    #Entry for /dev/sda3 :
    UUID=687071027070D870 /media/sda3 ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=0222 0 0
    #Entry for /dev/sda5 :
    UUID=8024234724233F90 /media/sda5 ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=0222 0 0
    #Entry for /dev/sda7 :
    UUID=900867A708678B54 /media/sda7 ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=0222 0 0
    #Entry for /dev/sda6 :
    UUID=78044C1D044BDCAE /media/新加卷 ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=0222,nosuid,nodev 0 0
    #Entry for /dev/sda8 :
    UUID=a5140d75-9d64-4dd7-8971-2477c911c4bf none swap sw 0 0
    Please just ignore those Chinese characters and some very strange disk name...the umask codes and different options really confused me. What does the first digit in 'umask=0222' stands for? Am I not the root and should have full permission?

What do I need to do to set, for instance, the sda5 partition to auto-mount, with all permissions, and some others non-auto-mount but still have permission to?

Many many many many thanks~~~~

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: [help]problems in auto-mount windows partition and fstab

I am no expert on this, your entry does not look far from these suggestions. If you have trouble with some of the entries add # to convert to a comment until you decide if you want to edit and mount or not.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1983336
    suggest using templates instead. Post #6
    For ntfs:
    Code:
    UUID=DA9056C19056A3B3 /media/WinD ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=000,uid=1000,windows_names 0 0
    Window_names prevents the use of invalid windows characters:
    (which are the nine characters ” * / : < > ? \ | and those whose code is less than 0×20)
    uid=1000 should fix the trash problems as well:

Has info on using 0022, but normally the the first number is for groups, not sure about fstab entries.
    http://opensuse.swerdna.org/susentfs.html

Options:
    http://linux.die.net/man/8/mount.ntfs-3g
    Better than man mount info on NTFS i.e. has windows_names explanation:
    http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-manual/

Hide mount with defaults
    Code:
    UUID=200C11850C1156DE /mnt/SysRes ntfs defaults,noauto 0 0
    Hide windows mount with noauto: 777 is no permissions at all
    Code:
    /dev/sda2 /Windows/sda2 ntfs defaults,noauto,umask=777 0 0
    Oldfred on vacation. Back Sept 9. Will not have much if any Internet access.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thanks for your very detailed reply.

Now I could be sure to say that the ntfs-config stuff does modify user's fstab file. (should be obvious, shouldn't it?)

After a long process of testing and try and error I finally came up with a setup that works. Sometimes I have to mount a partition manually to 'activate' it, otherwise it wouldn't be mounted automatically at boot. Very tricky.

Anyway, thanks again.

And I would like suggest that anyone who wants to try ntfs-config, pysdm or anything else, backup the fstab file first.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by xumaomao View Post
    And I would like suggest that anyone who wants to try ntfs-config, pysdm or anything else, backup the fstab file first.
    @xumaomao, I would go further than that and suggest to anyone who is considering trying ntfs-config or pysdm that they do not! Both of those apps were developed in about 2005, if I remember correctly, and have been unmaintained since. They can both cause significant problems.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.