Thread: Text Editor, Syntax Highlighting

Beans

Post Text Editor, Syntax Highlighting

1. I wasn't sure if this would go here or Development & Programming
    2. I am looking for a Text Editor for website development, meaning I will use PHP, JavaScript, CSS, and HTML. I would like Syntax Highlighting and auto tab and line number, like notepad++ only for linux, I would rather not use WINE, and it must be free.

Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Text Editor, Syntax Highlighting

Hi iGeekiHackiMatt.

I think you are looking for an IDE.

Take a look at Netbeans and Eclipse. They both are available in the Software Center.

Also, Gedit itself (default editor) support tabs, lines, and most common languages syntax highlighting.

Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans

Actually just about any delelopment editor should work fine for you, no need for an IDE.

I use vim, you could also use emacs. Those would both work on a terminal, so you could edit your html (or jsp or gsp or php or c or c++ ....) just fine.

So I would just start looking for 'linux programming editor' and sort through the dozens of available options until you find one you like.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    Hi iGeekiHackiMatt.

I think you are looking for an IDE.

Take a look at Netbeans and Eclipse. They both are available in the Software Center.

Also, Gedit itself (default editor) support tabs, lines, and most common languages syntax highlighting.

Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.
    I use Eclipse for programing in Java, How would one go about adding in php files into Eclipse?

Quote Originally Posted by 1clue View Post
    Actually just about any delelopment editor should work fine for you, no need for an IDE.

I use vim, you could also use emacs. Those would both work on a terminal, so you could edit your html (or jsp or gsp or php or c or c++ ....) just fine.

So I would just start looking for 'linux programming editor' and sort through the dozens of available options until you find one you like.
    I will look into those to products and try searching "linux programming editor"

Well I think I want an IDE. Not a GUI development tool where you build the website like a word document, that is so cheating!!!

Thanks for both replies!
    Last edited by iGeekiHackiMatt; October 15th, 2012 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Adding IDE info

Beans

For Eclipse or STS you just open your project folder and it will scan for files. Both IDEs (STS is a variant of Eclipse) use a workspace file but both should understand PHP files.

This IDE has wide support for pretty much any type of programming you're likely to encounter.

Also like any IDE they have a certain way of doing things, and if you don't buy into their way then you're not going to like the IDE.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm surprised no one has suggested Bluefish. It's an editor that is mainly geared toward web designers/developers, and I believe it has all of the features you mentioned.

EDIT: And just so it's clear, it's in the repos: apt:bluefish
    Asus K55A (Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD/Intel HD 4000) with Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2
    Compaq Presario C700 (Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.6GHz/2.5GB RAM/500GB HDD/Intel GM965) with Arch Linux and Linux Mint Debian Edition

Beans

Talking Re: Text Editor, Syntax Highlighting

Quote Originally Posted by jrog View Post
    I'm surprised no one has suggested Bluefish. It's an editor that is mainly geared toward web designers/developers, and I believe it has all of the features you mentioned.

EDIT: And just so it's clear, it's in the repos: apt:bluefish
    Thanks for the help everyone, I think I will use Blueflish!!!!