Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Launcher only launches application once

Beans

Re: Launcher only launches application once

You can get some info here, maybe you can find additional
    http://standards.freedesktop.org/des...ec-latest.html

You can also open existing installed ones to get somen idea's ect.

I tend to work out just using some logical trial & error, don't think I've needed StartupNotify=true for StartupWMClass to be effective but generally that line isn't an issue

If you're going to spend much time with .desktops and or quicklists ect. you may want to set up a nautilus action or 2

I always put in 2 right away on a new install -
    Open desktop file
    Open desktop file as Root

NA lets you set an action using basename so the above will only show in the context menu for .desktop's
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post

I tend to work out just using some logical trial & error, don't think I've needed StartupNotify=true for StartupWMClass to be effective but generally that line isn't an issue

If you're going to spend much time with .desktops and or quicklists ect. you may want to set up a nautilus action or 2

Open desktop file

NA lets you set an action using basename so the above will only show in the context menu for .desktop's
    There's a enormous information gap here, and I am not asking you to try & fill it. I will, however, briefly show just how ignorant one can be and still get stuff to work.

The problem with the spec is that it means little to a user, rather than an expert. I still have no understanding of what these 2 additions mean, even though I have read the words. So, for instance, StartupWMClass still means nothing to me. If it is needed and works, fine, but why a 'WM Class' has anything to do with the executable name is unfathomable.

In addition, I have absolutely no idea what Nautilus actions, or quicklists, are. In fact I don't really know what Nautilus is. It may surprise many linux people to know that it is quite possible to use a system without much understanding of what it elements are called or how it really works. I cannot begin to explain just how much information I don't have!

I worked on my first IT system in 1971, but didn't touch linux until last year and still very much as a user, not as a programmer. There is simply too much to learn.

Never mind, I now have something working. Time to move on to the next problem!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post

Open desktop file

Thanks. I managed to work out what some of this means. The NA had me fooled for ages (acronyms are like that), thinking it meant Not Applicable.

Having worked out that Nautilus Actions was something I needed to install I did so, and got the basic version working for me as a default user. To be able to edit one belonging to root (in /usr/share/applications...) I finally worked out I needed to use gksudo (I have always used sudo in the past from a terminal).

However, whilst it does open the file (I'm using gedit) it also opens an extra untitled document. I have seen that you and others appear to have reported this as a fault in 12.04 (and some other versions). Have you managed to find a work-around?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12