Thread: Upgrade leftovers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Upgrade leftovers

While upgrading to a newer version of Ubuntu are the older useless files ended up as 'leftovers'.

After upgrading I get a confirmation box whether to keep or remove the older files. But last day I read somewhere that the older files are not completely deleted even after confirming to delete the older files and it also affects the performance of the system. Also a clean installaion is better than upgrade.

So as I wanted to change from my 32bit to 64bit edition of Ubuntu, I did a clean installation and now the system seems to be a bit more quicker in response. Is this because that I've changed to x64 or is it because I did a clean install..?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Upgrade leftovers

A fresh install is always different from a Upgrade in all cases .The installed software of your's will run it process in the background on your system , for that system you did upgrade means same thing goes there too .

but a fresh install means nothing you have installed , no more extra BG process running so felt like its quicker .

One more difference is there , there speed difference between 32 & 64 -Bit system . 64 Bit systems are quicker than 32-bit and by using 64-Bit OS you can use the complete RAM of your system but with a 32-Bit system the maximum allowable RAM is just 3 GB and of course you can get more RAM with PAE kernels but i read some problems with them .

So the bottom line of my Bug text is
    1 > Fresh install always differs from Upgrade install
    2 > 64-Bit systems are quicker than 32-Bit system .

hope that helps
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanx

Beans
    Hidden!

now mark the thread as solved from thread tools .

thank you
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.