Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Operating System not found

Beans

Re: Operating System not found

Quote Originally Posted by bedpotato View Post
    OK I managed to find Disk Utility and opened it. The following things are there:

Local Storage (Ubuntu@localhost)
    SATA Host Adaptor
    CD/DVD drive
    Peripheral Devices
    700 MB File filesystem.squashfs

Is any of them the HD?

Under SATA Host Adapter should have your hdd. If not, then it's not detected. Either it has been disconnected by the impact and/or (I hope not) it's broken.
    At this point, you should open the laptop to check if the hdd is correctly connected. If you're afraid of voiding the guarantee or something, contact the manufacturer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous5 View Post
    Under SATA Host Adapter should have your hdd. If not, then it's not detected. Either it has been disconnected by the impact and/or (I hope not) it's broken.
    At this point, you should open the laptop to check if the hdd is correctly connected. If you're afraid of voiding the guarantee or something, contact the manufacturer.

Oh dear. I don't know how to do any of this...

I think I will just have to take it back to the shop. They have a workshop there.
    "Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
    L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Is there no way of me accessing that file? I've got copies of everything else but just hadn't updated the changes to that one.
    "Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks but please elaborate and tell me how to do that. I'm a beginner. Please don't assume I know what I'm doing!Thank you very much everyone for trying to help me.

I had no idea there was any such thing as a "non-mechanical" hard drive. That's interesting.
    When you go on a LiveCD session, you have access to your hardrive (whose partitions are mounted usually under /mnt/media directory). Check with a live CD if you can see your suspected faulty harddrive.

By non mechanical, I meant hard drive that don't have spinning parts. They are less likely to defect during mechanical shocks. You know, sort of like SSD's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you are hearing a new buzzing or whirling sound, that is not consistent with what your cd drive sounds like, chances are that sound is comming from the hard drive, if that's the case, the hard drive is probably busted. It can be quite unfortunate as you'll need to replace it. You're smart to have backed up your data externally, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Two questions.
    First what model laptop is it?
    And second, is it under warranty still?
    If it is still under warranty, then contact the maker and get it fixed.
    If it is not under warranty, then hopefully the maker has documenation support, which will show you how to remove the hdd. I've found removing hdd from laptops to be the second easiest after removing the battery. If you decide to go this route, when you actually remove the drive, signs of any internal damage should be very apparent, as it will probably rattle like something broken.
    Hopefully though, it sounds as if your system has only lost its hdd, and not other components such as graphics cards or cpu or ram of power supply.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No I am not hearing a "new" whirring sound. As I explained, when booting up via LiveCD it made the usual "thinking" whirring sound. I don't know what it really means so I have always jokingly said that when the computer makes that noise it's finding something a bit hard and is stopping to think before executing a command. It makes that noise when doing something big: e.g. downloading software, booting via CD. Is that the HD noise?

It's a Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook AH530. It should still be under warranty because I only bought it last Dec. However, I had assumed that warranties did not cover damage due to careless handling (as opposed to faulty components.) It's my fault it got dropped on the floor, not theirs. Will the warranty cover it, do you think? I'd be surprised if so. I will not lie about it, as that goes against my beliefs. I will tell them honestly that I dropped it by accident.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Two questions.
    First what model laptop is it?
    And second, is it under warranty still?
    If it is still under warranty, then contact the maker and get it fixed.
    If it is not under warranty, then hopefully the maker has documenation support, which will show you how to remove the hdd. I've found removing hdd from laptops to be the second easiest after removing the battery. If you decide to go this route, when you actually remove the drive, signs of any internal damage should be very apparent, as it will probably rattle like something broken.
    Hopefully though, it sounds as if your system has only lost its hdd, and not other components such as graphics cards or cpu or ram of power supply.
    Nice idea but - I think he should try to recover the data from the (broken?) hdd. Usually data recovery isn't covered by any warranty and it is regarded to be the user responsibility. Sadly, I speak from experience here. Second - dropping a laptop, isn't exactly a fault covered by most of the warranties also: from my experience it usually reduce to: "it was your fault, not ours: pay the repair!". I admit that there are manufacturers like toshiba that can offer you warranties for accidents - or you can buy extra warranties but from what I've encountered, the shops usually don't repair your stuff if it is broken due to an accident.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No I am not hearing a "new" whirring sound. As I explained, when booting up via LiveCD it made the usual "thinking" whirring sound. I don't know what it really means so I have always jokingly said that when the computer makes that noise it's finding something a bit hard and is stopping to think before executing a command. It makes that noise when doing something big: e.g. downloading software, booting via CD. Is that the HD noise?

It's a Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook AH530. It should still be under warranty because I only bought it last Dec. However, I had assumed that warranties did not cover damage due to careless handling (as opposed to faulty components.) It's my fault it got dropped on the floor, not theirs. Will the warranty cover it, do you think? I'd be surprised if so. I will not lie about it, as that goes against my beliefs. I will tell them honestly that I dropped it by accident.
    Well, if you go that route and if it is nothing to be done about the internal hdd, then you must expect to loose all the data on it and to pay for a new hdd (plus additional repair fees). A hdd is not so expensive these days - probably your lost data from the hdd worths more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm a she, not a he.

My "helpless clueless female" vibe ought to be a dead giveaway. Plus not many men I know quote Anne of Green Gables.

PeterP24: there is no "lost data" because I have everything copied to an external HD and USB, with the exception of one file I'd been working on, whose recent changes I don't think I copied but the gist of it is still there.
    Last edited by bedpotato; May 29th, 2012 at 08:50 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast