Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Operating System not found

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Operating System not found

I dropped my laptop on the floor. When I picked it up again, things all appeared to be still working at first, but then after a few minutes things froze up. I could not get any response from the screen, so I just turned it off and back on again.

When I turned it back on, it wouldn't launch Ubuntu but just went to a black screen with white writing saying the Operating System was not found and something about checking a media cable. (I am assuming this is probably due to the laptop having been dropped on the floor, and not due to me not having shut things down properly, because I've had to turn it off abruptly before in the past and never got this error message until now).

I have now been able to start up using the LiveCD but what can I do to get Ubuntu back on my laptop permanently? Perhaps I just have a damaged harddrive due to dropping it on the floor and need to buy a new hard drive. Or is this somehow fixable? Should I try re-installing Ubuntu? Or just take my laptop back to the shop and ask them to try and mend my hard drive?

Before I try any of these things, please can somebody expert advise me if there are any commands I should be typing into a terminal in order to find out if things can be fixed? (I am not very expert at all, and don't know what to do).

Thank you

Bedpotato xx
    "Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
    L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Operating System not found

Contact your laptop vendor or Service... some cable could have lost footing. Or if you can do it yourself check all cables especially cables that connect to the HDD.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Was the operating system running at the time you dropped the laptop? Then the hard disk is likely damaged. If the operating system was not running, you may be lucky. Can you mount the hard drive from the liveCD? If yes, the first thing that I would do is to make a backup of your data.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bedpotato View Post
    I dropped my laptop on the floor. When I picked it up again, things all appeared to be still working at first, but then after a few minutes things froze up. I could not get any response from the screen, so I just turned it off and back on again.

When I turned it back on, it wouldn't launch Ubuntu but just went to a black screen with white writing saying the Operating System was not found and something about checking a media cable. (I am assuming this is probably due to the laptop having been dropped on the floor, and not due to me not having shut things down properly, because I've had to turn it off abruptly before in the past and never got this error message until now).

I have now been able to start up using the LiveCD but what can I do to get Ubuntu back on my laptop permanently? Perhaps I just have a damaged harddrive due to dropping it on the floor and need to buy a new hard drive. Or is this somehow fixable? Should I try re-installing Ubuntu? Or just take my laptop back to the shop and ask them to try and mend my hard drive?

Before I try any of these things, please can somebody expert advise me if there are any commands I should be typing into a terminal in order to find out if things can be fixed? (I am not very expert at all, and don't know what to do).

Thank you

Bedpotato xx
    You get "Operating OS not found" when there's no OS in the hdd or where there's no hdd, so the problem is definitely the hdd. With the liveCD try accessing the hdd, opening files, creating files...
    Or open up disk utility in ubuntu and see if the hdd is detected. If it is you can even try running some tests and viewing smart data. Also, can you hear the hdd spinning ?

Beans

Only a few "hardened" laptops can actually survive being dropped -- and you would know if you had one of those.

The laptop continued to work briefly because it was running from code cached in system memory. But, when you went to use the hard drive, the laptop failed.

It's also very likely that you suffered a "head crash" on the hard drive when you dropped the laptop. If that happened, the likelyhood is that nothing is going to be recoverable -- at least, not using any methods available to you.

Professional recovery services actually disassemble the hard drive, repair the hardware, and reassemble it -- all in "clean room" environments. Which is one reason they charge THOUSANDS of dollars to recover a drive.

The "shop" is NOT going to be able to fix your drive -- if it suffered a head crash -- no matter what they tell you.

So basically, you most likely need a new drive.
    Ubuntu 15.04 Mate, Mint 17.1; MS Win 8.1, Win10 TP.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    Contact your laptop vendor or Service... some cable could have lost footing. Or if you can do it yourself check all cables especially cables that connect to the HDD.
    I don't know what you mean. Thank you for replying though.

Quote Originally Posted by 2F4U
    Was the operating system running at the time you dropped the laptop? Then the hard disk is likely damaged. If the operating system was not running, you may be lucky. Can you mount the hard drive from the liveCD? If yes, the first thing that I would do is to make a backup of your data.
    Yes it was running while I dropped it.

I don't know if I can mount the HD from the LiveCD or not because I don't know how to do that.

My data is already backed up on an external HD. There is only one file I hadn't updated some changes to, but I can't seem to find it. (I had a similar problem a while ago on a different thread, and somebody explained to me how to locate my data when accessing Ubuntu via the LiveCD, so I have done that before and ought to know how to do it, but I can't find the data this time. Either I do not know where to look, or perhaps the data has been damaged somehow).

Here is WInh8r's explanation of how I should be looking for it:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1923379&page=4

but I can't see "Devices" anywhere this time.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous5
    You get "Operating OS not found" when there's no OS in the hdd or where there's no hdd, so the problem is definitely the hdd. With the liveCD try accessing the hdd, opening files, creating files...
    Or open up disk utility in ubuntu and see if the hdd is detected. If it is you can even try running some tests and viewing smart data. Also, can you hear the hdd spinning ?
    Thank you but I'm not sure I know how to do the things in bold. Please can someone not only tell me what to do, but also how to do it? I am a beginner. Thank you.

I can hear a whirring noise on my laptop. I don't know if that's the HD spinning. I call it a "thinking" noise. It always does a lot of "thinking" when I run Ubuntu via the LiveCD. Will that be the HD?
    "Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

if the LiveCd is working then most likely you have a problem with your hdd. The best you can do is to check from your LiveCd session if your old hard drive is still alive. I speak from experience - 1 year ago, I dropped an external (mechanical) hdd and suffered because of it. Best choice is to go with a non mechanical one in the future in order to avoid this sorts of things.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

OK I managed to find Disk Utility and opened it. The following things are there:

Local Storage (Ubuntu@localhost)
    SATA Host Adaptor
    CD/DVD drive
    Peripheral Devices
    700 MB File filesystem.squashfs

Is any of them the HD?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by PeterP24 View Post
    . The best you can do is to check from your LiveCd session if your old hard drive is still alive..
    Thanks but please elaborate and tell me how to do that. I'm a beginner. Please don't assume I know what I'm doing!Thank you very much everyone for trying to help me.

Best choice is to go with a non mechanical one in the future in order to avoid this sorts of things.
    I had no idea there was any such thing as a "non-mechanical" hard drive. That's interesting.
    Last edited by bedpotato; May 29th, 2012 at 05:34 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It is possible that the cable that connects to HDD may have come loose, its not plugged in properly after the fall.

Use LiveCD and when you get to the desktop open nautilus or File Manager and from the left column click on the HDD or Ubuntu Partition to mount it. You can also use Disk Utility from the desktop to see how your HDD appears or not.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast