Thread: Gnome Shell 3.4 and shortcuts

Beans

Gnome Shell 3.4 and shortcuts

Hi all,
    I use ubuntu 12.04 precise pangolin and I've updated to GNOME shell 3.4. When i was using earlier version, i could drag apps from sidebar to desktop, thereby make a shortcut of them in desktop.
    but now i cannot drag programs to desktop coz there is no sidebar...
    pls tell me how to create shortcuts of programs in desktop.

Balasankar C

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Gnome Shell 3.4 and shortcuts

Could you post a screen shot ? I have a favorites bar in Gnome 3.4 as was in 3.2. Make sure you are logged into Gnome and not Gnome Classic. If you are logged into the Gnome Shell use Alt+F2 and reset the shell with the following.
    Code:
    r
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

sorry, but i dnt know what to post as screenshot...i can't drag and drop icons from favorites bar so as to make shortcuts in the desktop... how can i do it is my question...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've never been able to create desktop shortcuts in shell. Unity yes, but not shell. However, this will work. You do have to know the command to launch the application, e.g. 'firefox' to launch firefox.

In a terminal type
    Code:
    gnome-desktop-item-edit ~/Desktop/ --create-new
    This will open a 'create launcher' window. Fill in the blanks and you should be set.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

This is what was written so I am confused . Do you have a favorites/ side bar or not.
    but now i cannot drag programs to desktop coz there is no sidebar...
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    This is what was written so I am confused . Do you have a favorites/ side bar or not.
    there is a favorites bar, i agree... but its different frm unity sidebar... thts wot i said...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    I've never been able to create desktop shortcuts in shell. Unity yes, but not shell. However, this will work. You do have to know the command to launch the application, e.g. 'firefox' to launch firefox.

In a terminal type
    Code:
    This will open a 'create launcher' window. Fill in the blanks and you should be set.
    sorry, but as i'm a newbie, i am just familiarizing with commands... can u pls tell me how can i get commands of various programs... for eg. i want to create a launcher for the torrent client Vuze (Azureus)... pls tell me how...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by balasankarc View Post
    sorry, but as i'm a newbie, i am just familiarizing with commands... can u pls tell me how can i get commands of various programs... for eg. i want to create a launcher for the torrent client Vuze (Azureus)... pls tell me how...
    Often it's the name of the application typed in a terminal. There is one thing you could try. I have Synaptic installed which is a package manager sort of like Ubuntu Software Center. I can open it, type in the name of the application I want to launch in the quick filter bar. For example, transmission is the default torrent program. If I open a terminal and type 'transmission' nothing is found. If I open synaptic and type 'transmission' in the quick filter window, one of the first results is 'transmission-gtk' When I type that in a terminal, Transmission will launch. There may be better methods and perhaps others will suggest them. I hope this is of some help.
    Last edited by kurt18947; May 29th, 2012 at 04:55 PM.

Beans

Often it's the name of the application typed in a terminal. There is one thing you could try. I have Synaptic installed which is a package manager sort of like Ubuntu Software Center. I can open it, type in the name of the application I want to launch in the quick filter bar. For example, transmission is the default torrent program. If I open a terminal and type 'transmission' nothing is found. If I open synaptic and type 'transmission' in the quick filter window, one of the first results is 'transmission-gtk' When I type that in a terminal, Transmission will launch. There may be better methods and perhaps others will suggest them. I hope this is of some help.
    Thanks buddy...

Beans

In a terminal type
    Code:
    It worked! Thank you very much.