Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad idea: Updated Wine using sudo

Beans

Re: I got here too late to know sudo was a bad idea. (Wine Problems)

Quote Originally Posted by Avaritia View Post
    You mean your trying to install a windows program from your USB drive?

What program is it?
    I was not trying to install the program from the my USB at first. PLO told me to create a virtual hard drive, and my usb stick came up as an option. I then downloaded the program directly to the USB.

The program is herolab. I tried it with Wine later once I realized Wine had to install the program also, not just run it from my Windows hard drive, but nothing happened.

I have since uninstalled wine, but in the sticky it said that a virtual windows drive would need to be erased or hidden. I don't if Wine created one if I was supposed to create one for Wine.

I am going to reinstall Wine though the software center once I get more info on the virtual HD issue.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Bad idea: Updated Wine using sudo

What I would suggest is remove Wine. Then in your home folder search for the hidden folder .wine and delete it. Format the USB.

Now try again (but I wouldn't install the application to USB, I would just install it on your HDD and be done with it).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Bad idea: Updated Wine using sudo

Quote Originally Posted by concerro View Post
    I installed and updated Wine using sudo. I now see in the sticky area that was a bad idea.
    Now I keep getting told it is locked. Do I have to uninstall it and reinstall it or can I run it a different way without doing a reinstall.

edit:When I try to do anything with wine from the terminal I get this -->cannot get pid from lock (lock isn't locked)
    I have no idea what that means.
    Sorry to jump into this so late, but installing Wine itself using sudo is not only NOT a bad idea, it is required. Installing or running applications in Wine using sudo is the bad idea, as it changes the user permissions on the .wine directory (where all of Wine's configurations and your installed applications are) so that your user no longer has the right to use them.

Uninstalling/reinstalling Wine won't fix that as it does not remove the .wine directory. The easiest way to fix that is to either simply delete the .wine directory (sudo rm ~/.wine), which will delete everything you have installed in Wine, or change the permissions on the .wine directory to give yourself access to it again (sudo chmod 777 ~/.wine), which will keep everything you have installed in Wine.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12