Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vendor's Answer for Not Using Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Vendor's Answer for Not Using Linux

I'm not sure if this belongs here, but here it is...

I saw this in the comments section of a blog posting about how Linux would eventually crush MS. This was posted back in January 14, 2009. A little dated, but worth a read.(Edited for easy reading)

Linux has failed and will continue to fail because the developers starting with torvalds and going down WILL NOT LISTEN to those that matter, the retailer and the consumers they support.

i'm a retailer, hi! And I won't carry your product, why? because you will not listen, that's why. I've been saying for years you either need a 10 years support cycle like MSFT or you need a stable ABI so when Suzy hits the upgrade button Linux doesn't go "Oops I made a stinky" all over the drivers. I've tried more than 20 versions so far and NOT A SINGLE ONE did an in place upgrade without making a stinky on one or more drivers, not a single one. XP support 2001-2014, Vista 2007-2017, Win 7 2009-202, noticing a trend here folks? the average distro? a year and a half, LTS, less than 5 year and you better plan sales around their release schedule which of course as a retailer I can't.

So here it is the start of the great XP dieoff, I've got tons of frankly overpowered XP desktops and laptops starting to pile up, a perfect opportunity for your OS, yet i'm scrambling to find a source for Win 7 Starter, why? because you won't listen, you've never listened, and therefor you deserve to fail.

you believe you can force people to do things the linux way but they won't, no Bash, no forum hunts, no "open up bash and type" CLI mess, the consumers won't play your reindeer games. instead of giving me an OS with support long enough they wouldn't have to in just the last 3 years you've gutted the DEs and given us Pulseaudio which is a buggy mess.

So I'm sorry Mr Nichols but MSFT could charge 3 times the price and Linux would go nowhere, not because we retailers love MSFT but because your fiddly mess of an OS would bankrupt us.

A wise man once said "Linux is free if your time is worthless" and no truer words have been spoken. To sell Linux I would have to keep spares to give the customer when the latest upgrade borks their sound and it takes me a week to find a "fix", I would have to try to keep an assortment of printers, cameras, and other devices because otherwise its hardware roulette thanks to the lack of API making it impossible for manufacturers to simply put a penguin on the box, and i would have to do all of this while still making a profit and not being undercut by the shop down the street that just put Windows home on the machines. that is simply impossible which is why Dell loses money on every ubuntu machine sold, the support makes Linux more expensive than Windows.
    Anyone want to weigh in on this? Because this IS the horses mouth. What could we do to solve this problem? Or is this the ranting of an ignorant merchant who could sell Linux if he knew what he was doing? I see companies like System76 and Ohava that look like they're doing well. So what's the deal?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Vendor's Answer for Not Using Linux

It's a troll and the points have been refuted repeatedly during the last decade. One of the things it is meant to do is distract from the monopoly MS has on desktop OEMs. No one has succeeded in breaking that yet, though it might come in the side door via tablets and smartphones.

There is word that Ubuntu might soon ship on 5% of systems:

http://www.phoronix.com/scant .php?page=news_item&px=MTA5ODM

If that happens it might help break the grip on the OEMs. Once that grip is broken the first time, the path becomes clear.

This thread should really be over in the Cafe.

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If this thread were in the cafe, it would immediately be filed under "recurring" and be buried.

Smaller retails do just fine with Linux. It's the larger ones that are doomed. Larger retails have been brainwashed by Microsoft marketing. They don't really care about the facts. They want profits handed to them on a silver platter.

Big retails need to grow up, stop acting like criminals, stop being idiotic and wasteful, put their noses to the grind stone and sell. Stop trying to steal profits for a change, and then maybe they won't have to merge/go bankrupt every couple years or so.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rai4shu2 View Post
    If this thread were in the cafe, it would immediately be filed under "recurring" and be buried.

Discussions do not need to start in the cafe to be moved to recurring.

And it's not to bury them it's just that we've done this a bazillion times already.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pepsifx357 View Post

I saw this in the comments section of a blog posting about how Linux would eventually crush MS. This was posted back in January 14, 2009. A little dated, but worth a read.(Edited for easy reading)

Anyone want to weigh in on this? Because this IS the horses mouth. What could we do to solve this problem? Or is this the ranting of an ignorant merchant who could sell Linux if he knew what he was doing? I see companies like System76 and Ohava that look like they're doing well. So what's the deal?
    What retailer is this? Jeff Bezos? Bill Simon (CEO of Walmart)? Mike Mikan (interim CEO of Best Buy)? Or is it Timmy Smith, part-time cashier at Fred Johnson's Computers 'n' Cellphones?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It's not untrue that the faster-moving OS is harder to target. For instance, Amazon.com wrote a monetized-secure-download app for music tracks on Ubuntu 9.04, and it's still on the website (the download link comes up when you buy an mp3 album.) Yet, it's not installable since 10.04 because of a broken dependency, and the current correct method for purchasing an mp3 album from Amazon on Ubuntu is to do so within Banshee. (I don't think Rhythmbox even has a plugin for it.)

Small, iterative changes are inherently necessary in Linux and make a lot of trouble for software distributors. Rolling distros help at least on the hardware end, but things can still break, and end-user software still has to keep up with changes. A stable, perpetually-legacy OS that software developers have to hack around and jerry-rig and that drivers are installed on top of, like Windows, really does have an advantage here over a system that's built more "logically."

Of course, software vendors would be more apt to maintain their **** if "Linux" was a single target with more than 2% (or whatever) market share.

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by pepsifx357 View Post
    No offense, but anyone who would say things that are so obviously false does not know anything about computers, let alone the subtle details of an operating system. Such comments say more about the fool who made them than about Linux, and I suggest you stop communicating with such people (or at least show their ignorant remarks the disdainful silence they deserve).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Even if there aren't legitimate technical issues, the fact that a vendor could think this way means there are definitely marketing/messaging issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Step 1 - Stop releasing a new distro every six months. It's pointless. It's over kill. It does more harm than good in the end. Let the current distro mature, learn the bugs, learn the issues and with that knowledge implement stable changes into the next version - which should be at the very least a year away - not six months.

Step 2 - Advertise. A couple of well placed commercials would do wonders.
    "Only because the richest software company on the planet is utterly incompetent, and incapable of building a secure operating system. -- Carla Schroder

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Even if there aren't legitimate technical issues, the fact that a vendor could think this way means there are definitely marketing/messaging issues.
    I think that depends upon the vendor. For instance, I would expect that the Apple Store would point out flaws with Linux, whether real or imaginary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast