Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard freezes at seemingly random intervals

Beans

Re: Hard freezes at seemingly random intervals

Thanks for the tip, I'll try to update the bios tonight. But first I have to reinstall windows so I can run the bios update... don't see anything spectacular mentioned in the update documentation though, so I remain sceptical.

Beans

Two interesting updates:
    1. Just updated the bios, from version F.01 to version F.16 so there could be a lot of changes. Didn't find any changelog for bios <= F.13 so I'm not sure what changed.
    2. Found this very interesing post about users having the same lockup/freeze:
    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic....53607#p1053607
    I get the same message at boot:
    Code:
    SP5100 TCO timer: mmio address 0xb80430 already in use
    So I will try to disable the thermal module like they do and see if that helps.

Beans

Good news, I'm fairly sure I've fixed the lockups. For the last 4 days I haven't had a lockup. This is what I did:
    1. Updated the bios from F.01 to F.16
    2. Boot the kernel with thermal acpi off, for example:
    Code:
    kernel /vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/mapper/root cryptdevice=/dev/sda3:root ro thermal.off=1
    3. Blacklist the sp5100_tco module
    Code:
    blacklist sp5100_tco
    A big help was this post on the arch linux forum:
    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic....53607#p1053607

It seems the instability was caused by the sp5100_tco module and/or the thermal acpi module. I've used the netbook for over 5 hours each day, for the last four days, doing various stress tests, surfing the web, playing youtube, compiling kernels, etc. and it seems finally stable!

Beans

Glad to hear someone is getting their Dm1-4010us working. I have the same machine with a similar problem. Not a complete lock-up ... just keyboard and trackpad stop responding. Unfortunately, changes with thermal and sp5100_tco don't have any effect. Thankfully, I can still plug in USB keyboard and mouse.

Some differences -- I'm using the radeon driver and I haven't installed the proprietary wireless drivers (yes, I get horrible wireless at the moment).

Seems like different but related issues. I agree with the above comments that it appears to be thermal and/or IO related but haven't really been able to find the culprit.

Graphic performance seems fine with the radeon driver -- video plays well. Laptop stays cool and is otherwise responsive.
    Last edited by Stylebox; July 19th, 2012 at 09:17 PM. Reason: typo

Beans

@Stylebox: although my computer completely freezes the bug is probably related. Take a look at this thread, some people have the same keybaord freezing, these guys have really dived into it:
    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteboo...1339919/page/2

Beans

I've been running with the grub option "thermal.off=1" set on my dm1-4125sa for a few days and, so far, no freezes. The best its been since the day I bought it.

Beans

Running Asus Laptop R500V, Ubuntu 12.04.

I started out thinking it was video drivers and X, then a kernel bug, also tried the thermal grub option above. It would still hard freeze - couldn't ever pinpoint what exactly it was. Nothing ever showed up in the logs.

This post on Arch Linux's forums helped me. Haven't had a hard freeze in three days. Was having them at least twice a day before.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=145425

Beans

I would like to thank "MrArch" for his post #13 in this thread. Following his instructions has eliminated my random system freezes with Ubuntu 12.04 on a HP Pavilion DM1-4010US.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12