Thread: Bridge Linux

Beans

Bridge Linux

All,

I recently installed Arch on my netbook as many of you recommended it not only as a stable OS that can be as minimal as I wanted, but also as a way to increase my knowledge of the command line what what goes on behind a GUI.

Well, I will admit I liked the experience more than I thought I would, but it was probably also too big a jump for me to go from Ubuntu to Arch. I was reading about Bridge Linux, and it seemed a good step in my learning curve, but I am unable to get the 32bit ISO to work as when I try to boot from a USB stick I get a message telling me the kernel is not available. I read a review where this was the issue also. I checked the Bridge Forum, but did not find my answer.

Can anyone point me to a working download, or can anyone point me to a distro based on Arch, but with more GUI in setting it up?

Chris

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Bridge Linux

Quote Originally Posted by chris1216 View Post

Can anyone point me to a working download, or can anyone point me to a distro based on Arch, but with more GUI in setting it up?
    ArchBang - I used it for about six months, then made the jump to standard Arch Linux. It is excellent for learning about Arch without having to configure every little thing.

http://archbang.org/

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Bridge Linux

I'd like an iteration of Arch that I can install from usb--not Chakra (because I dislike KDE).

Beans

Post Re: Bridge Linux

Quote Originally Posted by drawkcab View Post
    I'd like an iteration of Arch that I can install from usb--not Chakra (because I dislike KDE).
    http://wiki.archbang.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

You can customise your install to suit your needs, and draw on the vast resources & knowledge of the Arch Linux community. The download page has links to both 32 & 64 bit versions, bootable as a live CD / USB – allowing you to easily test it out before doing a full install.
    Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

All,

I was reading about Bridge Linux, and it seemed a good step in my learning curve, but I am unable to get the 32bit ISO to work as when I try to boot from a USB stick I get a message telling me the kernel is not available. I read a review where this was the issue also. I checked the Bridge Forum, but did not find my answer.

Chris
    How are you transferring it to your USB stick? Bridge Linux works fine for me when I do a DD transfer to my USB sticks.

Code:
    dd if=bridgelinux.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4k
    of course you would change the .iso name and /dev/sdX to reflect the real .iso and sdX device names.

Beans

Ratcheer--I will read up on Archbang and see if I think it is for me.

Antman-- I am using Universal USB installer. I have never had an issue with it before, except on this distro of Bridge. I will see if I can make the dd command work.

Beans

So after some more searching and reading I came across a suggestion to try a different program to put the iso on the USB. I used Lili Live Linux creator and this solved the issue.

I ended up putting Archbang on the netbook and so far it is exactly what I want. Minimal and snappy. Thanks for the suggestion Ratcheer.

Chris

Beans

Cool Re: Bridge Linux

I ended up putting Archbang on the netbook and so far it is exactly what I want. Minimal and snappy. Thanks for the suggestion Ratcheer.

Chris
    You are welcome. I thought you would like it.

Note that once installation is completed and it has given you a usable default environment, ArchBang is just Arch Linux. You will get the same packages when you upgrade. There are some slight cosmetic differences, but that's about all.

Tim

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

So after some more searching and reading I came across a suggestion to try a different program to put the iso on the USB. I used Lili Live Linux creator and this solved the issue.

Chris
    Chris, can you point me in the direction of the stuff you looked at?