Thread: Oneiric: acpi-support package upgrade and problem

Beans

Question Oneiric: acpi-support package upgrade and problem

My daily upgrade on my Oneiric amd64 installation, this morning, upgraded one module, acpi-support. As part of the post installation setup, it issued the following warning:

Setting up acpi-support (0.138.1) ...
    update-rc.d: warning: /etc/init.d/acpi-support missing LSB information
    update-rc.d: see <http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts>
    I tried to read the LSBInitScripts page at Debian, but it is all gobbledygook to me. Why was this module updated without apparently setting itself up, correctly? What, if anything, do I need to do?

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

Re: Oneiric: acpi-support package upgrade and problem

I'm showing the same message.

Beans

Arrow Re: Oneiric: acpi-support package upgrade and problem

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rt/+bug/305587

I see the reasons, but I don't entirely understand them. The developers keep marking this bug with status "Won't fix". The bug was opened on 2008-12-05 and the most recent activity was on 2012-03-16 , so it has been ongoing for a long time.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Oneiric: acpi-support package upgrade and problem

Ok, by reading and experimenting, I got the warning to stop occurring by inserting the following code into file /etc/init.d/acpi-support, after the first line:

Code:
    ### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Provides: linux-restricted-modules
    # Required-Start: $local_fs
    # Required-Stop:
    # Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
    # Default-Stop: 1
    # Short-Description: Setup the linux restricted modules
    # Description: Link the linux restricted modules at run time.
    ### END INIT INFO
    I have no idea whether this is right or wrong, but it is working for me. Would someone with better knowledge of the problem please comment?

Tim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Oneiric: acpi-support package upgrade and problem

That's odd as a # normally signifies a comment only. I know grub is different maybe that file is too.

Beans

Post Re: Oneiric: acpi-support package upgrade and problem

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    That's odd as a # normally signifies a comment only. I know grub is different maybe that file is too.
    Yes, as the error message says, it is just looking for "LSB information". Apparently, the comments are the information it needs.

Tim