Thread: gnome-panel Installation Question

Beans
    Hidden!

gnome-panel Installation Question

If I install gnome-panel ONLY via the mini.iso, will it also install all of the GNOME Shell / GNOME 3.0 stuff? Or will I have just gnome classic?

I really hope I only get gnome classic. As I don't want to use GDM or something to switch to gnome classic. (As I don't want a DM)
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: gnome-panel Installation Question

If you want a minimal Gnome classic desktop, install with the following command:

sudo apt-get --no-install-recommends install gnome-session-fallback

It will just install the stuff that requires the Gnome session to work. (Including gnome-panel, gtk3 and a bunch of other stuff.) It won't install Nautilus, gnome-control-center, gnome-themes-standard or any icons etc.

Then use startx and see if it works. Keep using sudo apt-get --no-install-recommends install package-name to avoid adding any extra stuff that you don't need.

I haven't tried that install with just "gnome-panel", so I'm not sure which dependencies it will add. But it certainly won't add gnome-shell or gdm which you're worried about. But I'm not entirely sure it will add any fallback session either. It may just install itself so it can be used as a modular panel on any type of x-session.
    Last edited by LarsKongo; May 28th, 2012 at 09:40 AM.