Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When you are happy with set-up - do you stop upgrades?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: When you are happy with set-up - do you stop upgrades?

I keep meaning to stick with an LTS version but the idea that there's new stuff out there that I don't have burns me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Angry Re: When you are happy with set-up - do you stop upgrades?

I've updated/reinstalled many times, and some of those times were utterly disastrous. The new version removed programs I needed, ruined my settings, ran slowly and even culled beloved applets, which began to crash the GUI constantly when I repeatedly tried to reinstall them. Installing the old OS *OVER* the new version didn't work, so I had to format and lose almost everything (thank God for external hard drives! ;_ And just to prove that I'm a moron: I've done this at least twice.

If you're happy with your installation, don't upgrade it. #LearnFromMyFail This is especially true if you're on an older comp with limited memory.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Depends on the machine. For my HTPC and my wife's netbook I pick an LTS and leave it on there for as long as possible. The former because I want it be like a toaster (ie: no fiddling about required!) and the latter because I don't like sleeping on the sofa. For my server I'm even more conservative and will only use an LTS point release.

My own desktop and netbook I like to have the new shiny stuff, so keep them bang up to date. The desktop will even run the testing branch if I've got the time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm still fairly new, but one of my favorite things about upgrading from Windows 7 to Oneric was trying out all the shiny new features and programs and workspaces and speediness and... You get the picture. Then, just as I finished fixing the things I broke, Precise came out! Since this is a LTS, I think I'll try to stick with it, or at least I find something I "must" have in a newer version, but we'll see...

Beans

"When you are happy with set-up - do you stop upgrades?"
    No, because to refuse an upgrade would imply that my knowledge is superior to those who offer the upgrade which isn't so. Also, the upgrades in this context are not "commercial" and aren't offered to boost the company's bottom line.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Like many here, I get curious about the latest shiny bangle. Seeing as there is no prohibition against having more than one O.S. installed, keep one system that is stable and boring and one system to tinker with and abuse. I find 25 GB. or so plenty large and even a modest sized hard drives can easily accommodate multiple separate O.S. installs. I can have my cake (stable reliable system) and eat it too (system on the bleeding edge).

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I keep Xubuntu around so I have a guaranteed working system. Ive always had a 'buntu around, but it started to get annoying when I would get the "itch" to get some new program that wasnt packaged in a deb or that required me to run a development release, etc.

I think Xubuntu is a fantastic "boring" stable system that has a great amount of software available for it, but admittedly im having a pretty dirty affair with Arch where I set it up to be as stable as possible- ive even ended up liking Openbox (and all the components I have installed around it) more than XFCE.

With Arch, its probably up to date, and if you need a development package, its prolly in the AUR. If its not, you can make your own pkgbuilds in a few minutes (depending).

Arch isnt as stable as Xubuntu though (with new packages comes potential issues) and requires a lot more user intervention/interaction. PPAs are great for 'buntu variants too, if not as reliable as the main distros. I think selective rolling release is a great plan for Ubuntu (which it does with firefox for example).
    Stop Trusted Computing! http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html
    Asus Rampage 2 Extreme/2.66GHz i7 Quad/6GB DDR3 1600MHz 8-8-8-24/2x Nvidia 9800GTX+
    2x150GB 10krpm HD/2x1TB 7200RPM HD/3ware RAID/
    Xubuntu 11.04/Arch Linux/Gentoo Linux/Fedora

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I always look at what updates are available but I'm very selective about which ones I install. Once I get an awesome setup that I don't want to change, I edit my settings to accept only security updates.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Peripheral Visionary View Post
    I always look at what updates are available but I'm very selective about which ones I install. Once I get an awesome setup that I don't want to change, I edit my settings to accept only security updates.
    I think the OP is referring to distro upgrades rather than regular updates that come via the update manager. To be honest, if an update comes down the pipe, I don't turn it away. Always important to keep up to date.

But with distro upgrades, it's been a long time since I've had a distro installed that I've really enjoyed and wanted to keep around. I've been a bit of a distro hopper for a while and not settled, but I recently installed Mint 13 Cinnamon and it's the first time in a long time that I've thought "I want to keep this". So now I have a system I really love, and I don't know how I'll feel when the next one comes out. I may be reluctant to upgrade.

It's an unusual predicament for me!
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It just depends on what kind of user you are. I myself have no problems using the latest and greatest ubuntu via clean install. Then again I always make sure my hardware is compatible. That should be rule #1.

Yet people buy computers that are NOT linux certified, and wonder why things go wrong. <scratches head>

People buy windows compatible pc's, right? People buy Mac compatible computers, right? Well, maybe people should buy linux compatible computers, Don't know how? Ask.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast