Quote Originally Posted by daslinkard View Post
    You can always try the IP address of 192.168.1.102
    0.4% chance of success...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to set up a printer?

Quote Originally Posted by linux12 View Post
    It's like, an HP 8600-something... and yes, it's connected to the network-at least on my windows OS.
    Setting up my HP printer required installed "hplip" from the Software Center or via "sudo apt-get install hplip".

Hplip is a proprietary package from HP. It can download and install the proprietary driver needed, at least in my case, by my HP printer. HP runs a site where they list which printers require an HP driver to function in Linux.

You can launch hplip by clicking on the icon that should appear after it's installed or by running "hp-setup" in a Terminal. Choose the options that are appropriate for you and it should install your printer. It should then appear in the "Printing" panel in System Settings where you can set it as the default (right click on the printer icon).

NOTE: HP-Setup apparently needs root access to install an HP driver it downloads. At least, it did here. So, if HP-Setup appears to download a driver but then fails to install it, run it as root: Alt-F2 to open a command line, then enter "gksudo hp-setup".

Printer IP: Should be available from the software used to manage the printer on your other machine. HP-Setup may or may not need it. Try first without it, selecting the "network" option in HP-Setup and seeing if it finds your printer. If not, and if you can't find the printer's IP, enter the IP of your router or the IP address of your other machine. If you can't find these addresses, they are often in the range from 192.168.0.1 to 192.0.168.9.

Beans

Wink Re: How to set up a printer?

Quote Originally Posted by HerrSubset View Post
    There's something in the softwarecentrum called "HPLIP toolbox". You can use it to connect HP printers and scanners to your pc, so perhaps you could give it a try?
    That worked! You rock!

Beans

hi buddies,
    i am using ubuntu 12.04 lts, i am new to ubuntu. i have connected network printer (ricoh aficio mp c3501) in my office as per instruction given by "shadius buddy" . i got connected to the printer and showing icon with printer name.
    but when i gave command print self test page - its giving like this in the printed page
    " userdict dup (\004) cnv { } put (\004\004) cnv { } put
    if you can read this, you are using the wrong driver for your printer ".

how to sort out this, someone help me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by swamyuefa View Post
    hi buddies,
    i am using ubuntu 12.04 lts, i am new to ubuntu. i have connected network printer (ricoh aficio mp c3501) in my office as per instruction given by "shadius buddy" . i got connected to the printer and showing icon with printer name.
    but when i gave command print self test page - its giving like this in the printed page
    " userdict dup (\004) cnv { } put (\004\004) cnv { } put
    if you can read this, you are using the wrong driver for your printer ".

how to sort out this, someone help me
    It seems you have the wrong driver for your printer, but before we continue I suggest you open up your own thread since this one is marked as solved by the original poster. Once you create your thread, provide us with the link here.
    Last edited by Shadius; May 29th, 2012 at 09:01 AM.
    Question Everything

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12