Thread: computer freezes during wifi use

Beans

Unhappy computer freezes during wifi use

my hp dm1z freezes occasionally during wifi use. It only happens when the wifi is in use, and has happened when different applications are using it (most of the time through browsers, but sometimes with software updates too). It happens maybe once a day or so, and I have to do a hard reset. It's getting incredibly frustrating, and I'm thinking about doing a fresh install of 12.04 to see if that fixes it. I'd rather avoid all that hassle, though. Any ideas on steps to troubleshoot or fix this?

Beans

Re: computer freezes during wifi use

*bump* no advice?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by pmheideman View Post
    my hp dm1z freezes occasionally during wifi use. It only happens when the wifi is in use, and has happened when different applications are using it (most of the time through browsers, but sometimes with software updates too). It happens maybe once a day or so, and I have to do a hard reset. It's getting incredibly frustrating, and I'm thinking about doing a fresh install of 12.04 to see if that fixes it. I'd rather avoid all that hassle, though. Any ideas on steps to troubleshoot or fix this?
    I have an hp dm1z with 12.04 and 12.10 pre-alpha and have no freezing issues. Which wireless driver are you using? You can run

Code:
    lspci -k
    in terminal to find out and post the result here.

Also, instead of hard reset you can try the Alt + Sysrq (Print Screen) + R E I S U B to reboot safely (more info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key)

The logs might give you some idea as to what goes wrong but I'm not sure which logs would be most useful in this case. Anyone else with ideas?

Beans

Thanks for the reply! I'm using wl, and have gone through the regular issues with the bcm4313. blacklist, reinstall wl from synaptic, and then a reboot usually fixes things when a kernel update or whatever switches drivers on me. but the freezing issue issue is regular, and like i said, happens about once a day or so.

Some idea on what logs to look at would definitely be helpful. I'm not savvy enough to be able to get a ton out of them myself, but it'll at least give me a foundation from which to do some googling and forum crawling.

Beans

Terminal output:
    Code:
    Kernel driver in use: wl
        Kernel modules: wl, bcma, brcmsmac