Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: fglrx with kernel 3.4 and 3.5

Quote Originally Posted by odror View Post
    When I type
    amdcccle

Nothing happens.
    I'm assuming you have amdcccle installed? There are two fglrx packages, one with the driver, one with the control panel.
    1) Dell Studio 1749: i5 540 (2.5GHz), 8GB, ATi 5650, Intel 5300AGN XFCE@Manjaro-x64
    2) Lenovo X61: C2D T7200, 2GB, Intel HDA, iwlwifi, XFCE@Manjaro-x64
    3) Compaq Mini 311c: Atom N270 (OC@2.0GHz), 3GB, Nvidia ION, Broadcom G+BT XFCE@13.10x32

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

mine is working fine except for scaling,I have to go back to catalyst and reajust scaling to get full screen
    grumpy old man
    I suffer from crs

Beans

Any news about ATI RADEON Mobility HD 4XXX drivers? Bit old huh? But anyways.. we can't upgrade a laptop video card..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jfernyhough View Post
    I'm assuming you have amdcccle installed? There are two fglrx packages, one with the driver, one with the control panel.
    I found the problem. I had two version of that file. one in /usr/local/bin that took precedence.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have an HP DV6 laptop that has ATI discrete graphics or whatever they call it. I had problems with installing the proprietary drivers in 12.04, they would fail and even when I got them installed there were issues remaining. One of the processor cores kept spiking and there were weird issues with menus displaying strange at random.

I installed 12.10 beta 2 on the laptop a couple of days ago. The proprietary drivers installed without issue and the problems I saw in 12.04 are gone. Everything seems very stable and consistent now, memory use is a bit higher but that may change seeing that 12.10 still has a ways to go before the final release.

Something I should mention, when using the open source ATI drivers there was a problem with not being able to get to the greeter every few boots, it would just sit there with a purple screen... In 12.04 I would get 9 garbled images of the greeter. In either case the proprietary drivers were needed to have things working reliably.

I do not know why Canonical decided to put hardware drivers in the software sources, this might make things more difficult for new users. Both the open source NVidea and ATI drivers are just not mature enough in my opinion to use, there are just too many issues remaining with them.

12.10 seems to be the answer to the problems I was having on my laptop and I do like most of the refinements that have been made to Unity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by erickwill View Post
    Any news about ATI RADEON Mobility HD 4XXX drivers? Bit old huh? But anyways.. we can't upgrade a laptop video card..
    That's what i'm using. When i tested fglrx last (about a week ago), at the time i did have a screwed up xorg.conf i was testing (back when i was testing radeon without kernel modesetting), and i did have problems, but that may have been why.
    If you try the sudo aticonfig --initial command you're encouraged to do when you first install fglrx, i get something like 'no suitable adapters found'.

So is the bottom line that this new fglrx DOES work for pre-HD5000 gpus BUT you lose out by having no CCC? Bit silly...

I checked again by installing fglrx and fglrx-amdcccle, it's no dice, the fglrx module doesn't get loaded, it falls back onto vesa which has even worse performance than radeon.
    Last edited by Ubunterrific; October 2nd, 2012 at 06:55 PM.
    Disco ut intelligam. I learn, so that i may understand.

Please direct translation related work messages and queries over to my page on launchpad. https://launchpad.net/~untaintableangel
    ...and happy typing!

Beans

The new version that was recently made available works very well on my rig with a HD6870 with dual displays. Very nice.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MadNachos View Post
    The new version that was recently made available works very well on my rig with a HD6870 with dual displays. Very nice.
    Do you have the issue of the CPU jumping to 100% when the display is sleeping. I have that issue with the 6850. The other issue is that unity is sluggish (It is worse when I add the 4th display)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

12.9 Beta driver still works like doo-doo on Xubuntu with Compiz and 3D effects. All sorts of artifacts and freezes.

Beans

Ok, it seems that quantal's fglrx does not work withmy graphic card. How dose one use opensource radeon driver? I removed the blob, then installed xserver-xorg-video-radeon package, and then replaced fglrx with radeon in my xorg.conf file. But after runing
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep "renderer string"
    I got:

Code:
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x301)
    The performacne is horrid, screen resolution is wrong, and Additionak Drivers tab is empty. Help.

edit.

Stupid me, it looks like i blacklisted radeon driver some time ago...
    Last edited by yaji; October 10th, 2012 at 08:28 AM.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789