The wait is over! A working patch has been posted on http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=495 by Zenitur.
HINT: /dev/shm makes a nice ramdisk if you have >2GB RAM.
Latest: Alberto Milone has pushed an updated 9.860 that has support for kernels 3.4 and 3.5: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/quantal...8.960-0ubuntu2 (3.5 support nor working for me, locks as X loads).
Latest beta: Catalyst 12.6 Beta works. Instructions below. If unsure use 12.4. Thanks to miatawnt2b for pointing out the 12.6 beta existed!
1) Download and extract 12.6 from AMD.
2) Apply the patch attached here.
3) Build packages
5) Remove watermark
0) If this is the first time you've done this, install the necessary development packages (normally installed by the installer, if any are missing they will be identified in step 3):
$ sudo apt-get install dpkg-dev debhelper dh-modaliases execstack
1) Once downloaded (the .run is in a .zip file. I shouldn't have to tell you how to deal with that), extract the installer files so we can patch manually:
$ sh ./amd-driver-installer-12-4-x86.x86_64.run --extract ~/temp/amd
2) Download and apply the attached patch (taken from Arch's catalyst-test):
$ cd ~/temp/amd
$ patch -p1 <./3.4.patch
3) Build the packages (this will place the packages in the parent directory):
$ ./ati-installer.sh 8.980 --buildpkg Ubuntu/quantal
4) Change to the parent directory and install the debs:
$ cd ..
$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
5) In order to remove the watermark you will need to add a signature to /etc/ati/signature . I took the signature from 12.4 as demonstrated here: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Amd_watermark
All you have to do is add the following to /etc/ati/signature and restart X (e.g. log out).
If you haven't already got an xorg.conf you will need to run:Code:b67d452b67e1e4baee18b65de7643cc0:8e537c1d56ccd588de2c866886490df38148761a24cca5eea7388168d3560bf9:8e1870185082d5dedb2ed53e835104f8d21877485fd7d282d62e8264d7005af38e4c711350d7d5dbdc2cd53e865159a5d74a76135fd0d2828a2b836bd7065af9
$ sudo aticonfig --initial
All should work!
*** Beta 12.6 ***
Beta page: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...st126beta.aspx
Direct link: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/hotfix/c...x86.x86_64.zip