Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preferred applications in 12.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Preferred applications in 12.04?

To access "system settings-details-default applications" in Unity.

Load the dash, type "sys". Select "System Settings". A new list of icons will appear. Click the "Details" icon, then select "Default Applications" in the list box on the left side of the form.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dbyrd View Post
    To access "system settings-details-default applications" in Unity.

Load the dash, type "sys". Select "System Settings". A new list of icons will appear. Click the "Details" icon, then select "Default Applications" in the list box on the left side of the form.
    I had read somewhere about typing a string into the dash. I had been trying to recall what it was so that I could come back to share it here. However I couldn't remember.

Since you know it's "sys"/"System Settings" it appears to be easy. But when you don't know for sure where to start it's very complicated and confusing. When I was trying to recall so that I could come back and share that, I was typing other variations such as default, preferred applications and other combinations. I don't recall exactly what I had been typing, but I wasn't finding it.

Now since I know what to look for "details" is coming up promptly. I believe that might be, because the system is remembering where I had went before.

Anyway, having to type things in to search for it rather than a seamless menu to navigate is making it harder and harder for a novice. I hope they don't drop the pointer/dropdown altogether... but then again, making it complicated will keep IT professional such as myself employed when the Freee OS becomes more popular.

I guess people are going to have to apply money somewhere.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Beans

System Settings is always available from the drop down menu that appears when you click on the round spikey power button looking thingy in the top right corner of the screen. When I installed 12.04 I'm pretty sure it was also locked to the launcher by default.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12