Thread: ipTABLES does not list any blocked ip addresses ?

Beans

ipTABLES does not list any blocked ip addresses ?

Hello,

I am running fail2ban and ipblock on my server

I ran this command and expected to see a long list of IP Addresses that were blocked but there are none.

sudo
    iptables -L INPUT -v -n

I am confused.

If ipblock is showing a lot of blocked IP addresses and fail2ban log shows a long list of blocked ipaddresses, why does iptables NOT show any of these ip addresses?

thx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: ipTABLES does not list any blocked ip addresses ?

If I'm not mistaken, that would only show you the current rules of iptables. If you never set a rule to block some ip/range manually in iptables, it won't be there.

The block might be logged in /var/log/messages or similar, but the command you posted would give you only the iptables rules, not all blocked entries.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: ipTABLES does not list any blocked ip addresses ?

A default installation of fail2ban will block an IP for only 10 minutes. The time can be changed in the configuration file, however. The idea is that a would-be invader will give up after 10 minutes of being refused access.

When fail2ban discovers a would-be intruder, it adds a rule to iptables to block that address and also sets a scheduled job for 10 minutes in the future. That scheduled job removes the rule from iptables. Thus unless you list the rules during that 10-minute window, you won't see its changes.

However it does write both actions to its log. Here's an example from my own /var/log/fail2ban.log file:
    Code:
    2012-05-05 11:36:36,087 fail2ban.actions: WARNING [proftpd] Ban 198.64.149.11
    2012-05-05 11:46:36,723 fail2ban.actions: WARNING [proftpd] Unban 198.64.149.11
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads