Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lubuntu Quetzal requires generic-pae

Beans

Re: Lubuntu Quetzal requires generic-pae

Quote Originally Posted by xebian View Post
    True, but backports may not happen at all.

Running PP's kernel is like driving last year engine with this year's body style. You get the latest applications which I think will run nicely with previous as much as with latest kernel.
    But you'd first have to use a PC that can run the pae kernel, switch that install to the older kernel, and then remaster a new iso to be able to install it to a non-pae box

Hardly a piece of cake.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    But you'd first have to use a PC that can run the pae kernel, switch that install to the older kernel, and then remaster a new iso to be able to install it to a non-pae box

Hardly a piece of cake.
    There is an easier way. Boot a PP netboot and just install the base no desktop just command line. Upgrade to QQ first and then install your fav desktop.
    OB-untu. #!crunchbang

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Wink Re: Lubuntu Quetzal requires generic-pae

There is an easier way. Boot a PP netboot and just install the base no desktop just command line. Upgrade to QQ first and then install your fav desktop.
    Actually I do have a partition with PP lubuntu generic upgraded to QQ lubuntu generic. I was trying for a new install in another partition just because install has been so buggy it is usually good for some Launchpad bug postings.

Usual Microsoft Mantra, "This new Windows XX is so good you have to buy a newer faster pc to do what you used to do on the older Windows...."

Jerry

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    Usual Microsoft Mantra, "This new Windows XX is so good you have to buy a newer faster pc to do what you used to do on the older Windows...."
    I think that's a little unfair... as a developer myself, I am constantly trying to take advantage of new hardware or OS capabilities. Sometimes, you have to draw a line in the sand and deprecate support for older hardware, in order to move forward.

If newer software didn't keep pushing the envelope, hardware would never improve or evolve, and we'd all still be running PDP-10 machines from the 1960's.

I'm not saying that there isn't a place for eeking out the utmost useful life of existing hardware, but that place is not on the bleeding edge, latest versions.

If you want to keep doing what you've been doing on your current hardware, then keep using the software you've been using. It's simple really.
    Linux user since Slackware 3.4

Beans

I doubt that you'll find a QQ non-pae netboot image.

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Lubuntu Quetzal requires generic-pae

...You get the latest applications which I think will run nicely with previous as much as with latest kernel.
    precise lubuntu upgraded to quantal running well here:

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.10
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=quantal
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu quantal (development branch)"
    Linux ThinkPad-T40 3.2.0-24-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 25 08:43:52 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

Just did sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. Mostly worked, downloaded all of quantal including 3.4.0-5 generic which requres pae, and should not have installed and didn't.

This is a Pentium M with no pae so "sudo aptitude full-upgrade" keeps trying to install 3.4.0-5 won't work, Y,n,q and the only useful choice is q. "safe upgrade" picks up changes that will work.

Anyway, running fine, recommended.

Jerry

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

run fine here with new kernel

oem@dub:~$ uname -r
    3.4.2-030402-generic

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: Lubuntu Quetzal requires generic-pae

Quote Originally Posted by pressureman View Post
    I'm not saying that there isn't a place for eeking out the utmost useful life of existing hardware, but that place is not on the bleeding edge, latest versions.
    Well I've got 4 test sysems. With QQ so far, the only one that runs as is no problem is a netbook.

The 3.3 Ghz ATI radeon xpress 200 running fine once I figured out I had to use "nomodeset" to boot the startup disk. Shades of Intrepid for those of us that go back that far, Dapper Drake Beta for me. Some problems seem to haunt Ubuntu forever.

The widescreen notebook has mucho problems with with wide screen and especially external monitor et. al. something to do with fglrx likely, people are working on it. It'll do 64 bit I rarely try that.

This is a Thinkpad T40 fits fine on the dining room table, QQ lubuntu running responsively using precise kernel, example of a successful upgrade.

From time to time one or another of my pc's does fall off the bottom: A 2 GHz with Intel integrated graphics running too slow for me after Intrepid. A 1 GHz Thinkpad runs O.K. with Lucid rather sluggish with any Narwhal and later.

Now Microsoft is master of "new operating system with lots more overhead, buy it installed on a new faster pc".

I'm an "ordinary user", internet video, email, research health, news, weather, shopping, politics, sports activities to do... There's a whole community out there that has to have the very latest hardware gadget and the very latest software to exploit it for the fanciest eye candy and exotic games. They seem to be pretty good at finding and filing bugs.

Having fun, Jerry

Beans
    Distro

Talking Re: Lubuntu Quetzal requires generic-pae

Found another way to use the Pentium M non-pae with Quantal. Quantal's running on my big clunky widescreen (wide but short screen squint) notebook, and the Pentium M is on the dining room table (much better fit) running ssh -X to the clunky widescreen notebook firefox et. al.

Not sure about the video speed (you tube Shakira) I guess I could put them side by side and compare.

Still having fun.

Jerry

p.s my usual fiddle with Ubuntu Hacks and The Official Notebook plus Ubuntu Wiki to get ssh running wireless security et.al. Not many commands to get it running, and not sure which ones did the work, and hopefully my neighbor's kids can't log in or view files...and most importantly my wife can still print pictures over the network...
    p.p.s. Pentium M's mostly updated from precise to quantal except kernel of course and some other stuff I don't know what is used for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12