Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu Quetzal requires generic-pae

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Red face Lubuntu Quetzal requires generic-pae

Finally lubuntu quantal quetzal .iso i386 image showed up in http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/daily-live/current/
    but didn't do me any good.

Tried booting .iso from hard drive.
    Works on precise, oneiric, maverick, lucid, .... Not this time. Squashfs unable to read block xxx

Tried mounting loop mode onto a 1G hard drive partition and booting.
    Works on precise, oneiric, maverick, lucid, .... Not this time. Squashfs unable to read block xxx

Used dd to copy the .iso to a USB stick to see if it would do a hybrid boot.
    Ooof. dd must copy bit - by - bit - s -- l -- o -- w -- l -- y -- ....

Needn't have bothered.

"Kernel requires pae".

No QQ on this notebook. Ever...

Actually Lucid Lynx running fine (!!) nicely responsive, fast, capable, functional, great wireless, and when support is dropped, I'll go to Precise Pangolin lubuntu.

For Precise I'll have to buy a wireless card since PP doesn't support AIRONET Wireless Communications Cisco Aironet Wireless 802.11b. Launchpad Bug written. Connects fine, then the kernel disconnects it. Connects again, kernel disconnects, repeat. Ad nauseum. Until I manually select the wireless applet and disconnect.

Jerry

Beans
    Distro

Re: Lubuntu Quetzal requires generic-pae

You can't expect to run the latest OS on old hardware forever...

I used to have a 286, that could never run Windows 95.... gutted.

Linux user since Slackware 3.4

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

We did have this discussion on the mailing list (although I must say, I don't recall the outcome)...maybe it would be helpful for you to join it? Not criticising, just giving you the opportunity to say 'I will be affected' next time.

Beans
    Distro

You could also just compile your own non-pae kernel. It's not like the support for non-pae hardware is being dropped from Linux itself (yet)... just that Ubuntu no longer packages such kernels.

Or you could simply stick to 12.04 LTS on that hardware. Let's be honest - by the time 12.04 reaches EOL, is that hardware really still going to be relevant?

The fact that you mention an 802.11b card is also indicative of how outdated that setup is... I haven't seen an 802.11b card for close to ten years! They wouldn't keep up with most ADSL connections these days, getting only around 4-5 Mbps under ideal conditions.
    Last edited by pressureman; May 26th, 2012 at 02:51 PM.
    Linux user since Slackware 3.4

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by pressureman View Post
    Or you could simply stick to 12.04 LTS on that hardware. Let's be honest - by the time 12.04 reaches EOL, is that hardware really still going to be relevant?
    Lubuntu 12.04 is not LTS. Although you might have a point with the hardware.

Beans

There will be no more non-pae kernel in QQ: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...ay/035176.html

IIRC a non-PAE
    kernel was installed because 1) there was less then 4GB RAM, or 2) their
    CPU did not have PAE support.

The folks in case 2 are simply out of luck (and no longer supported).
    So, you're SOL (simply out of luck). ;P

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    Finally lubuntu quantal quetzal .iso i386 image showed up in http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/daily-live/current/
    but didn't do me any good.

Tried booting .iso from hard drive.

Tried mounting loop mode onto a 1G hard drive partition and booting.

Used dd to copy the .iso to a USB stick to see if it would do a hybrid boot.
    Ooof. dd must copy bit - by - bit - s -- l -- o -- w -- l -- y -- ....

Needn't have bothered.

"Kernel requires pae".

No QQ on this notebook. Ever...

Actually Lucid Lynx running fine (!!) nicely responsive, fast, capable, functional, great wireless, and when support is dropped, I'll go to Precise Pangolin lubuntu.

For Precise I'll have to buy a wireless card since PP doesn't support AIRONET Wireless Communications Cisco Aironet Wireless 802.11b. Launchpad Bug written. Connects fine, then the kernel disconnects it. Connects again, kernel disconnects, repeat. Ad nauseum. Until I manually select the wireless applet and disconnect.

Jerry
    You shouldn't be surprised having taken part in PP testing

Were it not for the diligence of Colin Watson even Precise would have had no non-pae kernel option.

I've tested Precise classic (no effects) on as little as an 1100mHz CPU w/1GB of RAM and it roars like a lion ......... and it's supported for 5 years

Beans

But you can still run QQ with a non-pae kernel. Just get the PP kernel, and you should be ok.
    OB-untu. #!crunchbang

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xebian View Post
    But you can still run QQ with a non-pae kernel. Just get the PP kernel, and you should be ok.
    But if you're going to run a Precise kernel why not just run Precise as a whole

It will have five years of security support. If someone has a problem with a certain app they can ask for it to be added to backports.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    But if you're going to run a Precise kernel why not just run Precise as a whole

It will have five years of security support. If someone has a problem with a certain app they can ask for it to be added to backports.
    True, but backports may not happen at all.

Running PP's kernel is like driving last year engine with this year's body style. You get the latest applications which I think will run nicely with previous as much as with latest kernel.
    OB-untu. #!crunchbang

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast