Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the best p2p client

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

the best p2p client

Hi!

I want your opinions on which is the best p2p client?

And don't say Limewire, it's a java piece of crap, everything java is too slow, I want something nice, the only one that I've found is gtk-gnutella.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Re: the best p2p client

I used Azureus in the past for .torrents , but it is buggy , resources hog , the GUI is bad designed in some areas (i installed recently the latest version in the Dapper repositories , the GUI "redesigners" must be smoking some really bad crack) , and "stupid" (a Gnu/Linux app that tries to self update itself )

I´m now using the Bitorrent utility that comes with Dapper for some time now , a little too simple for my taste , but it works , and that is what matters.

Amule is also good for ed2k stuff.
    There is only one god, and Ubuntu is its prophet.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jc87
    I used Azureus in the past for .torrents , but it is buggy , resources hog , the GUI is bad designed in some areas (i installed recently the latest version in the Dapper repositories , the GUI "redesigners" must be smoking some really bad crack) , and "stupid" (a Gnu/Linux app that tries to self update itself )

I´m now using the Bitorrent utility that comes with Dapper for some time now , a little too simple for my taste , but it works , and that is what matters.

Amule is also good for ed2k stuff.
    I heard uTorrent runs well under wine?
    If someone tells you to sudo rm -rf ANYTHING, then DO NOT DO IT!

Don't run any command with rm in it unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I use uTorrent, i run it under Wine.

Beans
    Hidden!

i have no problem with azureus on a 400Mhz debian sarge box

Beans

Use frostwire, its not slow like you've been describing and its more convienant for downloading the one or two songs you heard on the radio.

www.frostwire.com

Cant believe ubuntu has its own package

Beans

I'm using apollon with Ares, Gift, Kazzaa(Fasttrack) and Gnutella all at the same time. It takes a bit of configuration but I think it's worth it. Here's how I do it:

1. Make sure you have the restricted respositories enabled in your /etc/apt/sources.list

If you don't know how to do that then ask someone here or on xchat. One easy way to know if it's enabled is by going into the terminal and typing
    apt-cache search ares plugin
    If that finds the ares plugin for gift then you know you have them enabled.

2. In the terminal type:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install gift libares-gift libfasttrack-gift apollon

3. The following instructions must be carried out by each individual user. In the termnial type:
    gift-setup

You'll get asked a bunch of questions. You can ignore most of them but you might want to change the folder downloaded files go into and you definitely need to answer the following:

***THE MOST IMPORTANT PART IN THIS BIT IS TO MAKE SURE YOU TYPE IN THE FOUR NETWORKS WHEN IT ASKS YOU WHICH PLUGINS TO USE****

Ares:Gnutella:FastTrack:OpenFT

Remember that it's case sensitive you you have to have your capital letters in the right places.

After that you can just keep hitting return and then run apollon from the terminal by typing:
    apollon

(if apollon fails to connect the first time close it, type giftd in the terminal and try opening it again. You will only ever have to do that once)

Yes, it may take a few minutes to set up but in the long run it's definitely worth it because you have access to all the major filesharing networks and a pretty decent gui.
    Last edited by Johnsie; June 18th, 2006 at 07:50 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Combo Ktorrent and Apollon.

I didn't have to add extra repos to install the fasttrack and ares plugins, i think they are in the restricted repos. Always best to make a habit of stickin to the ubuntu repos when possible.

Iandefor is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Bittornado works like a charm for me.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Beans

ah you're right... I must've had a bad sources list the first time I did it or it wasn't on there then.... I'll update my post
    Last edited by Johnsie; June 18th, 2006 at 07:53 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast