Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Facebook buying Opera???

Jesus..

Is this really happening?

Holy mother of cow!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    Yes, but they already do these things with every Facebook member. I can't tell you how many cookies and scripts I've blocked from Facebook (I'm not a member). What are they getting through Opera (a niche browser after all)? Prestige? What? Google, at least, created their own OS, indirectly based on their browser - Android and Chrome OS. Is that the direction Facebook plans to go? I can't see that they'll have much success. They're a bit late to that party. I'm not seeing what they get from it?
    I tend to agree with you. Social networking is on the rise, but I dont feel its in the direction they are going for unless they just want a browser that they can control the cookies on. Which is bad. IMHO.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

I hear they are going to steal all the Dalmations and with the use of cleverly designed cookies lthat cause music to play and lure all the children to a far off land.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I understand they're somewhat more difficult to remove than the "average" cookie.
    Good grief! Just feed them to the dalmatians or whatever other wildlife that happens to be lurking in the back yard.

If it wasn't for some of my colleagues and work-related contacts being Facebook fans, I probably wouldn't have signed up. As for Opera, I haven't really used it enough to have a useful opinion beyond noting that I have a copy of the mini version that came preinstalled on one of my mobile phones.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Zombifier mentioned evercookies: "Opera is closed source, if Facebook buys it, who knows what kind of stuffs Facebook will put in. We have seen countless lawsuits against those evercookies Facebook planted in other browsers."

I understand they're somewhat more difficult to remove than the "average" cookie.
    Still a file in your computer.

Beans
    Hidden!

evercookies aren't LSOs or normal cookies. They use JavaScript. You can attempt to circumvent them with something like Ghostery, but it's unlikely it'll work. I heard of an add-on called Nevercookie, but it seems it dropped off the face of the Earth.

Edit: Even if you find Nevercookie, you need to enable Firefox private browsing. Like Chrome, I will not use Private browsing just to get rid of history, etc. I can't remove (world / clock icons in Chrome.)
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Interesting. What does Opera offer Facebook from a business perspective?
    Google makes Chrome integrate seamlessly with Google Doc, Google+, among every other product Google makes. Google makes Chrome more popular. And in turn, Chrome will make Google more popular.

Facebook wants to copy the playbook.
    There are two sides to every story: my side and the wrong side.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    I hear they are going to steal all the Dalmations and with the use of cleverly designed cookies lthat cause music to play and lure all the children to a far off land.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lethalfang View Post
    Google makes Chrome integrate seamlessly with Google Doc, Google+, among every other product Google makes. Google makes Chrome more popular. And in turn, Chrome will make Google more popular.

Facebook wants to copy the playbook.
    Yeah... I've been reading a variety of articles and blog posts on the subject. They all argue that it will increase Facebook's in-your-face integration. It's too bad. I've been experimenting with Opera and am starting to like it. Facebook would, no doubt, ruin the browser (what with extensions and integrated apps). I also have to wonder whether they would bother with a linux version.

Oh well...

There have even been on-again, off-again rumors that Mozilla might let Linux support go by the wayside. That leaves Chrome OS or the organic purity of text-based browsing.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There have even been on-again, off-again rumors that Mozilla might let Linux support go by the wayside. That leaves Chrome OS or the organic purity of text-based browsing.
    Or one of these:
    http://linux.about.com/od/softbrowse...b_Browsers.htm

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast