Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Installing new network card in Ubuntu 12.04 Server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Installing new network card in Ubuntu 12.04 Server

Update:
    Now the ubuntu pc cannot ping anything, router, other computers on the network, google, etc. I restarted all PCs attache;d to the network, turned off the modem / router, turned it back on, the the ubuntu pc, then the windows one.

Not sure why it is so hit or miss...
    Then you are not really connected. Let's see:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep eth0
    cat /etc/network/interfaces
    Is it the Tulipmobile in the PC now or some other?
    woot, after a eth0 down, eth0 up, and restarting networking (again it says its deprecated, and should use the service instead: eg: service smbd reload, does it matter? is there a better way? do let me know plz)
    If the interface is properly described in /etc/network/interfaces, then all you need to do is:
    Code:
    sudo ifdown eth0 && sudo ifup eth0
    Verify with:
    Code:
    ping -c3 192.168.whateverthe.routeris
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Yea I have done all that, I know how to ping and, for some reason, when the new card was on DHCP, it worked, i could ping google, but I did not try to see if windows could ping it. I then changed to static IP, and there it all went south. It seems like it did so in stages.

This behaviour feels very much like a defective card. I can always put in the old one and go from there, but since the old one gives 1mb/s xfer rates, it kinda defeats the purpose of a file server, even if it was for home use.

Thanks again for the continued help.

Beans

Well after another few back and forths, I can tell that the issue is for sure with the new card. It is either damaged or incompatible. I am banking on damaged, not sure how it happened, but I got it once to actually work on DHCP for a few minutes, and then it just started not working anymore.

I will stick it in a windows pc one day to check that it was not a compatibility issue, but I am fairly sure it was hardware issues.

Thanks all for the help!

>>Closed<<

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123