Thread: Ubuntu to Linux Mint

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu to Linux Mint

Hi everyone,
    I'm considering a change to Linux Mint after years with Ubuntu. In the partitioning step of the installation CD I am given a choice for the boot loader:
    • /dev/sda ATA ST9160821A6 (160.0 GB)
    • /dev/sda1 Windows 7 (loader)
    • /dev/sda5 Ubuntu 11.10 (11.10)
    • /dev/sda6
    • /dev/sda2 Windows Vista (loader)

My questions are:
    1. What should I choose from the drop down menu of the boot loader, if I want Linux Mint in charge of the dual booting process?
    2. Do I need a swap partition for Linux Mint, or is it necessary for Ubuntu only?
    3. How can I get rid of the Windows Vista loader now that I have erased it completely and only use Win7 occasionally?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Ubuntu to Linux Mint

If you want Mint in charge, you should select /dev/sda, the MBR of the disk. There should not be any numbers in it.

The Vista loader is reported because some boot files are found there. That could be a recovery partition or similar. It doesn't actually mean it's vista OS.

As long as any boot files can be detected, it will get reported.

Yes, Mint uses a swap partition too, as most linux OSs.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro

How can I get rid of the Vista partition? I don't need a recovery partition. I don't have a Windows 7 installation CD because I got it through an agreement between my University and Microsoft. Do I have to use some software from within Windows 7 to knock out that section (/dev/sda2)? Will GParted in Win7 work? How do I do it?
    Last edited by pooja; May 25th, 2012 at 08:54 PM.

Beans

Thread moved to "Other OS/Distro Talk"

Beans
    Distro

If anyone's having my same troubles, I've made a Live CD of GParted, inserted it in the PC, then rebooted. It immediately loaded from the CD and I was able to format the hard disk. Still kept Vista loader (actually GParted detected it as an HP recovery partition) but resized /dev/sda5 to 20 GB approx. and a linux-swap of 2GB. Will try installing Linux Mint 13 w/ Cinnamon. Keeping my fingers crossed...