I have a rather old system now (Thinkpad T61) with an older graphics card (NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M).
I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04, and have encountered a host of errors while opening mplayer with any video format. Here is the list of problems and attempted fixes -
1) After install, I put in nvidia-current. Downloaded mplayer from the default repositories.
Result : Got a vdp_surface_create error (cant recall exactly, didnt copy out the message).
2) Downloaded the svn version of mplayer, compiled on my own.
Result : Same error as above.
3) Removed the nvidia-current driver, used nouveau. Reinstalled the repository version of mplayer. (This, after doing a
on the earlier version)
sudo make uninstall
Result : Worked!
Problem is, I have a dual monitor setup. Wasnt able to configure much with nouveau.
4) With nvidia-current driver, used the PPA copy of mplayer.
5) Downgraded nvidia drivers to 295.49, 294.40, 295.33, while keeping the PPA copy of mplayer.
[ vdpau] Error when calling vdp_presentation_queue_block_until_surface_idle: An invalid handle value was provided.
[ vdpau] Error when calling vdp_video_mixer_render: An invalid handle value was provided.
[ vdpau] Error calling presentation_queue_query_surface_status: An invalid handle value was provided.
[ vdpau] Error when calling vdp_presentation_queue_display: An invalid handle value was provided.
Result : Same as (4).
Now, there are a couple of combinations in this list that I did not try out. Does any one have a suggestion as to what may be going on here? For most other people, just using the PPA version seems to have fixed things.
Did I not uninstall the older mplayer versions correctly? I retried all of it while doing a
with each copy of mplayer too. I really need my dual-monitor setup going. Ideas anyone?
apt-get remove --purge