Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving from Evolution to Thunderbird

Beans

Question Re: Moving from Evolution to Thunderbird

Why dont you send all of the emails you would like to keep to a different email account and then send them back to the account you have setup with thunderbird?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Moving from Evolution to Thunderbird

The version of Evloution I was using is 3.2.3. It doesn't have an export function in the "File" menu. I was not aware that the evolution emails were not mbox files. I'd like to try maildir2mbox but I'm not confident I can edit the script correctly. How easy is it to find the path to the maildir files?

By the way, i have many dozens of emails I'd like to save so sending them to another email address and then back is not an option for me unless I can't make anything else work. Besides, working through this is a part of my linux education.

Beans

Changing the scropt is really easy. You only need to change line 42 to have it point to where the script is stored on your computer. The only issue I had it that the first place I put the maildir2mbox script was in a folder that wouldn't execute scripts. I don't know much about linux and don't know why thta happened but after I moved it to the usr/local/bin folder it worked fine. You do get lots of errors but my email seemed to convert. I literally had over 5000 emails I converted.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm still battling with this. I don't really understand how to implement some of these suggestions, especially when told to run a script. Where do I run it from and what do I call it?

For example, I came across a script on this page:
    https://github.com/jooooooon/maildir...r/maildir2mbox

I can copy and paste it, but where to, and what do I call it so I can run it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by asharpham View Post
    I'm still battling with this. I don't really understand how to implement some of these suggestions, especially when told to run a script. Where do I run it from and what do I call it?
    Scripts are very widely used and so I suggest you read-up on how to use them:

The most important thing to note is that you must make the script executable with the chmod command (or via the Nautilus GUI).

You can call the script anything you like but when you run the script you should be in the same directory, otherwise you may have problems with the path to the file.

You generally run a script with the "./" prefix to the filename:
    Code:
    ./mygreatscript
    Quote Originally Posted by asharpham View Post
    For example, I came across a script on this page:
    https://github.com/jooooooon/maildir...r/maildir2mbox

I can copy and paste it, but where to, and what do I call it so I can run it?
    Your link showed the contents of a single file, maildir2mbox. Instead, I suggest you should open this link: https://github.com/jooooooon/maildir2mbox
    You will see three files listed, together with a "ZIP" button near the top. If you click on the "ZIP" button, this will allow you to download all three files together in one package.

Unzip (Extract) the file to a location of your choice, then you should see a folder containing the three files.

Edit file "dateRfc3339ToMbox.pl" as described in the README and in my earlier post #10.

Then run the script "maildir2mbox" as described in the "Usage" section of the README file. Note that if the scripts are in your path then you may not need to use the "./" prefix but if they are not included in your path then just try adding the "./" prefix. i.e.
    Code:
    cd /path/to/your/source/maildir
    ./maildir2mbox > /path/to/your/destination.mbox
    p.s. Prior to running the scripts don't forget to make both scripts executable as mentioned earlier.
    Last edited by Zill; July 18th, 2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Reminder to make scripts executable

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12