Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many people here use NoScript Addon?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: How many people here use NoScript Addon?

NoScript with "Allow scripts on all pages" still provides a great deal of protection against clickjacking, etc. So if you're not comfortable with enabling sites one by one, then go ahead with allowing all sites, but you'll still be safer without NoScript.

Soul-Sing is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Not anymore. From no-script to Request Policy.(and quick java)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I just find it annoying and I think I am missing the point....

I mean, I like the idea but its such a pain when you are for example filling in a web form that needs javascript and you have to re-do the whole thing...

*** I have a solution!!! ***

Set up a virtual box and if you are doing any sort of suspect or paranoid search or research or whatever that "worries" you about things like XSS Scripting ect then you should be cool...

my 2 cents....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I use it all the time and Post#2 says it all.
    PopularPages A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by listerdl View Post
    I just find it annoying and I think I am missing the point....

I mean, I like the idea but its such a pain when you are for example filling in a web form that needs javascript and you have to re-do the whole thing...

*** I have a solution!!! ***

Set up a virtual box and if you are doing any sort of suspect or paranoid search or research or whatever that "worries" you about things like XSS Scripting ect then you should be cool...

my 2 cents....
    No. It would be really cool if it were that simple but it's not. A virtual machine can experience the same script exploits as a host install.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Daisy View Post
    No. It would be really cool if it were that simple but it's not. A virtual machine can experience the same script exploits as a host install.
    True. Snapshots can help, but you still would run into XSS and whatnot even on a VM.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

I have been using it for about a year and a half on windows and Ubuntu and love it. This was recommended by Blizzard when my WoW account was hacked due to a keylogger program that was hiding on a wow armory lookalike site. The program takes some getting used to but once you know what to allow it is very useful. Also, it loves to block advertising on some websites so when you play a video instead of a 30 sec advertisement in between videos it just jumps to the next video. This doesn't work on all sites. For windows this program has become almost indispensable spyware and adware have been greatly reduced. For some odd reason though it works more efficiently on Ubuntu than windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    True. Snapshots can help, but you still would run into XSS and whatnot even on a VM.
    Right but at least you can delete the virtual machine if it did infect it?

I just need to get my head around NoScript....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by listerdl View Post
    Right but at least you can delete the virtual machine if it did infect it?

I just need to get my head around NoScript....
    Yeah, if the script exploit installed something malicious.

The thing about browser exploits is that some happen entirely inside the browser. So you could get your credentials stolen and someone would have your username & password to a login page. Deleting the virtual machine does not change the fact that someone already got your credentials. Hence a virtual machine is not a fail-safe.

Beans

A virtual machine isn't really a security program. It is in that they're great for malware analysis but... none of it really improves security except for the fact that it's a separate system from your own. That's it.

It's like a sandbox except it also virtualizes a new file system and kernel and performs CPU emulation. Huge resource hog and in the end it's just a big blob of complicated attack surface.

Being able to move back to a save state is great but I'd rather just use a something like Apparmor, which provides the same basic type of security without the massive resource usage.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast