Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Distro to choose for a Distro Hopper.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Which Distro to choose for a Distro Hopper.

Hello guys,
    I have been using ubuntu since a long time. I am not looking for something new to try. During this period i have also used Fedora,which i didnt like. Sabayon i used to love when it had kde 3.X series,with loads of software and all. Also,i have tried Gentoo,for sometime,i couldnt get some drivers work properly. Yes,that's it. What should i go for guys. Kindly let me know. Thank you for your time.
    Love how the world of Linux is so awesome, where one can just see how its done, its like peeking inside a civilization and seeing how they work in their day to day life, how they progress, how they evolve, how they communicate...!!!

Beans

Re: Which Distro to choose for a Distro Hopper.

Well PCLinuxOS has been nicknamed "The distro hopper stopper"
    Opensuse is a good option too
    Linux Mint is also worth mentioning
    So is Zorin OS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Debian, Slackware, and Arch, the triumvirate of distro awesomeness!
    Mac OS X 10.6.8
    Debian Sid - Openbox
    Ubuntu 12.04
    Slackware 14 - Openbox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.
    elementary OS Luna
    My Screenshot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Arch, hands down, although the new Magiea 2 is quite nice, worth a look. It runs very fast and stable for me. But if you're interested in what's going on under the hood without compiling from source (Gentoo) or using LFS, then Arch is a great way to go. You can install any DE or WM you want. There is someone who has even been compiling Unity in the AUR.
    Registered Linux user #436067
    Registered Ubuntu user #29066
    -----------------------------
    Linux assumes you know exactly what you are doing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

HYBRYDE, ! Not to worry that it is in French, She installs in any language that Ubuntu would ! I am using it now ! very unique Interface that lets you switch desktops, xfce, openbox, unity, gnome3, fallback, e17,lxde and fvwm, without loging out !
    A shot of my customized version !
    http://mirror3.layerjet.com/hybryde/...dvd-32bits.iso
    see it at distrowatch or Google HYBRYDE and translate there forum ! They are a great bunch there !!!
    Last edited by Artificial Intelligence; May 25th, 2012 at 07:51 AM. Reason: screenshot not work/family friendly
    johnnyg713
    Ultimate Edition,We are World Wide and Growing !
    http://ultimateedition.info/
    http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/for...hp?f=36&t=2387

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You have not mentioned what type of work generally you do on a Linux box .
    However yopu can choose a from here . www.distrowatch.com
    “Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things”
    — Robert A. Heinlein

Beans

Talking Re: Which Distro to choose for a Distro Hopper.

To me Distros have become almost secondary, with all the new virtualization technology. If I were going to create a new Pc (which I'm about to do) I would have a distros with the most access to deb and rpm packages and virtualize WinXp and everything else. To get the largest amount of packages at my disposal I would pick Fedora for rpm packages and *buntu for deb packages. As somebody mentioned Hybryde has an *buntu core with multiple desktops (9 I think). That looks really cool and is my major project at the moment (currently having problems running under virtualbox to see if I want to permanently install). With every upgrade I try Unity for a day or so because that is the future of Ubuntu, but it doesn't last much longer. (I install it on my parent's Pc and the Pc's of their senior citizen friends when cleaning up their Win installs from virus attacks - it's simple for people that just do email and net surfing and they stop bothering me with the "my windows has a virus" crap; but I just can't stay with it.) I go to Gnome 3 because, as far as usability, it is a blend of Gnome 2 and Unity; but can't stay with it. I just like menus and directories instead of wasting 10 minutes searching for a program you know you installed on your computer. I had kde for a year or so and loved it except that every time I tried to improve my panels I jacked everything up. When I get a pc with more memory that is probably what I will default to. I am much more interested in all the different desktop environments and that is why I am so interested in Hybryde Evolution. I am building a pc that I think will have Hybryde Evolution (Ubuntu with 9 desktops) and Fedora (and possibly PcLinuxOs) and I will virtualize everything else. I tried 50 distros or more for 2 years and most the distros are mere personalized preferences. We all have the ability to create live Cd's and that is what most distros are on distrowatch. They take a distro, add and replace programs, add a few splash screens / themes, then burn a live cd of "their" distro. It's really confusing to N00bs coming over from Windows. One of the only truly independent distros that I would recommend is PcLinuxOs (as someone else mentioned). It doesn't have near the repositories of Fedora or Ubuntu, but it is a sweet, professional grade OS. Especially for non-pc people coming over from a Win paradigm. It makes sense to them and is really slick. So a triple boot of Hybryde Evolution (when it gets fixed), Fedora and PcLinuxOs and virtualize any Windows you might need should get you anything you could possibly need!

Beans

Cool Re: Which Distro to choose for a Distro Hopper.

I am trying Siduction 12.1, based on Debian sid. So, far, I really like it. See my thread in this forum: Is anyone else trying Siduction?

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

For distros that require little configuration out of the box: *buntu or openSUSE. My only problems with openSUSE are that a lot of the repos are in Europe and YaST gtk was kind of buggy last I used it.
    Arch Linux is great if you want to make your own system that only has what you want. It requires a lot of patience and tinkering though, and it's a rolling release so things can break.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast