Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Booting/Cloning/A Big Mess

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Booting/Cloning/A Big Mess

Quote Originally Posted by Shadius View Post
    Hey everybody,

I have Windows XP and Ubuntu both on separate hard drives. However, my Windows XP hard drive is failing (since I've had it forever) so I want to clone my Windows XP hard drive to another hard drive. The Windows XP never came with an installation disk, just a Recovery CD, so I just can't reinstall my Windows XP to another hard drive. The computer is a Compaq Presario 5410US (if that helps with specs) and both drives are hooked up with no room for a third drive. My thinking is that I have to unplug the Ubuntu hard drive, plug in the new hard drive that Windows XP will be cloned to, and then log into Windows and use whatever software (hopefully, you can suggest one) to do the cloning process. However, when I disconnect the Ubuntu hard drive and try to start up my computer with only the Windows hard drive connected, I get some kind of black screen, maybe GRUB. I think it's because GRUB was written to the MBR and the Windows bootloader is now gone. I know I can restore the MBR of my Windows hard drive using Boot-Repair and GRUB no longer shows up for me to be able to log into Ubuntu, but I am wondering if I can configure it so that when I disconnect my Ubuntu hard drive, it picks up my Windows XP hard drive and lets me be able to log into my Windows XP as if Ubuntu was never there, and when I plug back in my Ubuntu hard drive, it picks it up and gives me back GRUB. Is that possible?
    Try redo it is a ubuntu derivative that makes an image, we use it at work, for XP it carries the license, at least it does for an Enterprise License, info to the new drive as well. Drive will be the same size as the source, if you image a 160GB to a 250GB drive you will have a 160 GB drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It's Windows XP Home Edition so it doesn't have the Recovery Console partition. I've used the Recovery CD to do a Factory Restore before. Now my question is, before cloning the Windows XP Home Edition, should I restore the MBR of that drive so that the MBR is cloned onto the new drive?
    I would not if you are using the boot-repair to do it, your choice really, a linux type bootloader called lilo can be used in the new HD, or the boot-repair again to fix this.

I suspect that XP recovery disc will get you to a recovery terminal as well, you just have not had to use it so you are not sure.

I never worry about the mbr as I have a bit of experience here so
    I may do things differently then others.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by wilee-nilee View Post
    I would not if you are using the boot-repair to do it, your choice really, a linux type bootloader called lilo can be used in the new HD, or the boot-repair again to fix this.

I suspect that XP recovery disc will get you to a recovery terminal as well, you just have not had to use it so you are not sure.

I never worry about the mbr as I have a bit of experience here so
    I may do things differently then others.
    So what you're saying is that I clone the Windows XP Home Edition with the GRUB that's installed in the MBR of the drive, and then I'll be able to use Boot-Repair to bring back the Windows bootloader and make it like I never had Ubuntu, or I can use my Recovery CD and do a Factory Restore on the new Windows XP Home Edition so that I can start fresh, which would be awesome!
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

So what you're saying is that I clone the Windows XP Home Edition with the GRUB that's installed in the MBR of the drive, and then I'll be able to use Boot-Repair to bring back the Windows bootloader and make it like I never had Ubuntu, or I can use my Recovery CD and do a Factory Restore on the new Windows XP Home Edition so that I can start fresh, which would be awesome!
    Yeah, you could do this before hand or after, your choice really, I would be more concerned if the XP is going to be recoverable really, not sure of the damage the HD has had.

I use clonezilla as suggested but it is a bit more difficult but fairly easy to understand, any gui cloner should work. I suspect that there are cloners that are on bootable cd's like clonzilla I have just not used them.

I would look for a bootable cloner if gparted does not work here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

you can if you desire if you do follow the instructions on this page to restore the grub mbr after you get windows working.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...tallingWindows
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    ubuntu 14.04 LTS ; xubuntu 14.04 LTS

Beans
    Distro

Thank you all for you help. I will post back here if I run into any problems while attempting to clone my Windows XP.
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro

So I made the Parted Magic LiveCD and booted into it with my Windows XP hard drive connected, my Ubuntu hard drive disconnected and my destination hard drive connected. I have no idea what to do from here on though. A little guidance please?
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

here's a page that will discribe the proceedure for you.
    http://www.securitybeacon.com/?p=1089
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    ubuntu 14.04 LTS ; xubuntu 14.04 LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Can you tell us how your drives show in Gparted? Which disk is /dev/sda and which is /dev/sdb? Using that information will determine which drive is selected and when while walking through the linked procedure in the above post.
    If you don't try new things, you'll miss out on life's most important disappointments.
    Registered Linux user: 463847

Beans
    Distro

It's only picking up one drive. The destination drive. It's not picking up the Windows XP Home Edition Drive. Help please.
    Question Everything

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast