Thread: snmp

Beans

snmp

Hello

This morning my machine wanted to get updates to something i have never heard of. SNMP . Can anyone enlighten me on what this is on a normal desktop ?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Beans

Re: snmp

Found this info still not able to figure out why needed ?

What Is SNMP?

Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) is a popular protocol for network management. It is used for collecting information from, and configuring, network devices, such as servers, printers, hubs, switches, and routers on an Internet Protocol (IP) network. Microsoft Windows Server 2003 provides SNMP agent software that works with third-party SNMP management software to monitor the status of managed devices and applications.

Large networks with hundreds or thousands of nodes are difficult to manage without a large staff to monitor every computer. SNMP, which is widely used in local area networks (LANs), lets you monitor network nodes from a management host. You can monitor network devices such as servers, workstations, printers, routers, bridges, and hubs, as well as services such as Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) or Windows Internet Name Service (WINS).

So if there is no network why is SNMP needed on a home install of Ubuntu? Are there any simple answers for this question ? I do not have network devices, such as servers, printers, hubs, switches, and routers on an Internet Protocol (IP) network , other than my cable modem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: snmp

well,you can ignore the package.There are many packages in software centre,many of which are not needed to be installed/upgraded on a normal desktop system.
    Basically,it all comes down to the need.If you need a package,install & upgrade it.If not,ignore it..
    Update Manager also lets to untick the packages that are not required to be updated.You can use that feature..

Vote for my Idea
    ~~~Open-source Software and Patience go hand in hand~~~