Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compiz in 12.04 Precise Gnome Classic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Compiz in 12.04 Precise Gnome Classic

Just wondering if there was some sort of GUI for compiz in 12.04 with Gnome Classic - though I actually am not sure if I'm running metacity or compiz at this point, and not sure how to check. Assuming I am running compiz, how would I enable things like the rotating cube and wobbly windows?

Beans

Re: Compiz in 12.04 Precise Gnome Classic

The compiz settings manager will do the same trick as it does for unity, install that if you dont have it already.
    Also to get compiz running by default in gnome classic you have to manually add it into your session.
    Its actually easier then that sounds, look for "startup applications" in your menu and add

compiz --replace
    in there

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

and install compiz-fusion-icon from software centre which will help you determine if you're using compiz or metacity,emerald or gtk....this o that..whatever

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thomsebastin View Post
    and install compiz-fusion-icon from software centre which will help you determine if you're using compiz or metacity,emerald or gtk....this o that..whatever
    Yeah installing the fusion icon isnt such a bad idea, you still may have to manually add in compiz though (had that issue with gnome classic)

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, guys! I've got compiz working nicely and I've been tweaking through the compiz settings manager. However, the compiz fusion icon doesn't seem to start when I click it (it showed up under System Tools). Any idea why that might be?

Beans
    Distro

OK, so weird sidenote: adding in compiz --replace to my startup applications locks my desktop, removes all icons from it, and removes my top sidebar (after a restart of course). I took out compiz --replace, restarted, and my desktop and sidebar are back to normal, and compiz still works.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by ibozzie View Post
    Thanks, guys! I've got compiz working nicely and I've been tweaking through the compiz settings manager. However, the compiz fusion icon doesn't seem to start when I click it (it showed up under System Tools). Any idea why that might be?
    If you're using classic you should see a small icon on the top panel..did u check there..if you're still in unity u will have to change the panel settings from dconf editor..

Beans
    Distro

Hm, no it's not there for some reason. It's supposed to be on the bar, right? Not inside a menu? It's also not in the "Add to panel..." list.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Hi to all,

same problem here, using gnome classic.

Cheers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ibozzie View Post
    OK, so weird sidenote: adding in compiz --replace to my startup applications locks my desktop, removes all icons from it, and removes my top sidebar (after a restart of course). I took out compiz --replace, restarted, and my desktop and sidebar are back to normal, and compiz still works.
    Compiz is very unstable, does the same for me and has done ever since I started using ubuntu. It's not smart to mess with compiz a lot, unless you want a broken system
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast