Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Flash video crashes on 12.04

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Beans
    36

    Flash video crashes on 12.04

    every time I am playing flash video in google chrome or firefox, flash crashes. This happens on youtube and on any other flash video websites.

    I am using ubuntu 12.04 on a Thinkpad T61 with NVIDIA Quadro 140NVS and latest drivers installed.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Beans
    4,246
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Flash video crashes on 12.04

    Is your 12.04 32-bit ot 64-bit? Did you install Flash as part of the "restricted extras"?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Beans
    3

    Re: Flash video crashes on 12.04

    Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    Is your 12.04 32-bit ot 64-bit? Did you install Flash as part of the "restricted extras"?
    I'm running 12.04 64bit. "ubuntu-restricted-extras" are installed. and I have exactly the same issue.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Beans
    3

    Re: Flash video crashes on 12.04

    my problem was:
    there is a bug in flash which is causing all youtube videos to be blue. this appears only if you have nvidia card. following this quick fix:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/11712...o-appears-blue
    I could solve the colour problem. but afterwards the flash player started crashing.

    my solution:
    I opened this file /etc/adobe/mms.cfg
    and deleted the first line from there so the only thing left is this entry:
    OverrideGPUValidation=true

    now my flash player is not crashing any more.
    Last edited by bombaklat; May 24th, 2012 at 02:54 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Beans
    45

    Re: Flash video crashes on 12.04

    try this:

    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-installer
    and then install flash player through firefox extension Flash Aid , using wizard mode and selecting only "override GPU validation".

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Flash video crashes on 12.04

    Quote Originally Posted by bbb13 View Post
    try this:

    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-installer
    and then install flash player through firefox extension Flash Aid , using wizard mode and selecting only "override GPU validation".
    Thanks for this tip, it worked... establishing proper Flash video playback both in Firefox and Chrome!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Beans
    385
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Flash video crashes on 12.04

    Quote Originally Posted by bombaklat View Post
    my problem was:
    there is a bug in flash which is causing all youtube videos to be blue. this appears only if you have nvidia card. following this quick fix:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/11712...o-appears-blue
    I could solve the colour problem. but afterwards the flash player started crashing.

    my solution:
    I opened this file /etc/adobe/mms.cfg
    and deleted the first line from there so the only thing left is this entry:
    OverrideGPUValidation=true

    now my flash player is not crashing any more.
    Well, this worked for me. I changed "EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1" to 0 instead. But without using my nvidia card, 240p is as high as I can go or everything is choppy/can't see people's mouths move, etc. But it's something. <sigh>

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Beans
    87
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Flash video crashes on 12.04

    Quote Originally Posted by bombaklat View Post
    my solution:
    I opened this file /etc/adobe/mms.cfg
    and deleted the first line from there so the only thing left is this entry:
    OverrideGPUValidation=true

    now my flash player is not crashing any more.
    I was going crazy with flash continually crashing. This fixed it for me. Now rock solid. Thanks!
    (I only had one other line n that file and commented that line out)
    Last edited by az_s_za; June 7th, 2012 at 12:02 PM. Reason: didn't need to quote whole post.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Beans
    13

    Re: Flash video crashes on 12.04

    Had plenty of crashing of Flash-plugin, some sites were completely unusable.
    This article helped me out - now my mms.cfg says:
    "
    EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=0
    OverrideGPUValidation=true
    "
    And flash works just nicely.
    I have 12.04 with Flash from extras and AMD AM2 4400+ cpu (so it is not lightning-fast) and NVidia display adapter with proprietary drivers.
    The lack of acceleration seems to have some impact - though - on fullscreen SD material the CPU consumption is increased with this setup (85% of a single core taken by the browser/plugin).
    Still - there is enough CPU to run it smoothly and the crashing is gone, so this -to me- is resolved.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Beans
    13

    Re: Flash video crashes on 12.04

    Quote Originally Posted by mteppo View Post
    ...
    "
    EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=0
    OverrideGPUValidation=true
    "
    And flash works just nicely.
    ...
    Still - there is enough CPU to run it smoothly and the crashing is gone, so this -to me- is resolved.
    Yes - does not crash but there is smurf invasion on Youtube. Got that resolved with the help of this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1974037.
    Now I think this should be ok.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •