Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cant grow partition

Beans

cant grow partition

Hi,

I am trying to grow a partition using the KDE Partition Editor and yes there is enough unallocated space behind that partition to grow into but it always comes back with an error I dont understand:

p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } Grow partition ‘/dev/sda2’ from 170.70 GiB to 320.17 GiB
    Job: Check file system on partition ‘/dev/sda2’
    Command: ntfsresize -P -i -f -v /dev/sda2
    ntfsresize v2011.4.12AR.4 (libntfs-3g) Device name : /dev/sda2 NTFS volume version: 3.1 Cluster size : 4096 bytes Current volume size: 183283913216 bytes (183284 MB) Current device size: 343783802880 bytes (343784 MB) Checking for bad sectors ... Checking filesystem consistency ... Accounting clusters ... Space in use : 143299 MB (78.2%) Collecting resizing constraints ... Estimating smallest shrunken size supported ... File feature Last used at By inode $MFT : 54 MB 0 Multi-Record : 176095 MB 13280 $MFTMirr : 91642 MB 1 Ordinary : 183284 MB 30598 You might resize at 143298519040 bytes or 143299 MB (freeing 39985 MB). Please make a test run using both the -n and -s options before real resizing!
    Check file system on partition ‘/dev/sda2’: Success
    Job: Set geometry of partition ‘/dev/sda2’: Start sector: 208,845, length: 671,452,740
    Set geometry of partition ‘/dev/sda2’: Start sector: 208,845, length: 671,452,740: Success

Job: Resize file system on partition ‘/dev/sda2’ to 671,452,740 sectors
    Resizing file system from 357,976,395 to 671,452,740 sectors.
    Resize file system on partition ‘/dev/sda2’ to 671,452,740 sectors: Error
    Resize/move failed: Could not resize the file system on partition ‘/dev/sda2’
    Job: Set geometry of partition ‘/dev/sda2’: Start sector: 208,845, length: 357,976,395
    Could not set geometry for partition ‘/dev/sda2’ while trying to resize/move it.
    Set geometry of partition ‘/dev/sda2’: Start sector: 208,845, length: 357,976,395: Error
    Could not restore old partition size for partition ‘/dev/sda2’.
    Resizing/moving partition ‘/dev/sda2’ failed.
    Grow partition ‘/dev/sda2’ from 170.70 GiB to 320.17 GiB: Error

Can anybody here enlighten me?

Thanx

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: cant grow partition

Can anybody here enlighten me?
    Can you post a screenshot of your Hard drive partitions?
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Silly question, but it's not mounted is it?

Beans

I will post the screenshot when i get back home - and no it wasnt mounted - I un-mounted it first - that being said though I found it strange that after I tried to apply the change and got the error the partition appeared as mounted again.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Kubischbuntu View Post
    I will post the screenshot when i get back home - and no it wasnt mounted - I un-mounted it first - that being said though I found it strange that after I tried to apply the change and got the error the partition appeared as mounted again.
    You have to use a live cd and have no partitions mounted, including the swap.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wilee-nilee View Post
    You have to use a live cd and have no partitions mounted, including the swap.

Really?? I am fairly sure i have manipulated partitions on this machine before.

Beans
    Distro

Really?? I am fairly sure i have manipulated partitions on this machine before.
    As long as it is not the one your running from it is okay, but unmount the swap. This unmounts the extended if around the whole thing and makes it safer as well in general.

Is is really hard to read your first post as well without some paragraphs at least for me anyway, so hard to tell what is really going on.
    Last edited by wilee-nilee; May 23rd, 2012 at 10:46 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wilee-nilee View Post
    As long as it is not the one your running from it is okay, but unmount the swap. This unmounts the extended if around the whole thing and makes it safer as well in general.

Is is really hard to read your first post as well without some paragraphs at least for me anyway, so hard to tell what is really going on.

Well OK I can add a bit more detail here. The partition i am trying to grow is a primary one. There is a heap of un-allocated space behind it (formerly occupied by another primary partition that has been deleted). It is this space I am trying to fill by growing sda2. The OS and swap are in extended partitions - so quite separate.

Sorry for the formatting of the error log. It had paras when i copied it but lost them on pasting into here - will try again tonight.

Beans
    Distro

Well OK I can add a bit more detail here. The partition i am trying to grow is a primary one. There is a heap of un-allocated space behind it (formerly occupied by another primary partition that has been deleted). It is this space I am trying to fill by growing sda2. The OS and swap are in extended partitions - so quite separate.

Sorry for the formatting of the error log. It had paras when i copied it but lost them on pasting into here - will try again tonight.
    Just posting a screen shot of the partitioner, would be helpful for me.

Beans

OK I have attached a snapshot of the partitioning - it is sda2 that I am trying to grow into the unallocated space behind it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast