Thread: Upgrade or ground-up install? Your experiences please

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Upgrade or ground-up install? Your experiences please

Hi, everyone,

Since that fateful day, many many moons ago, when I got my grubby hands on a Slackware 1.19 CD and got hooked on Linux forever, I have never upgraded any version of Linux. Instead I have always saved whatever I needed to preserve, and done a ground-up install of the new version.

However. I am now running Natty on the laptop that currently serves as my main machine (read: I make my living with it and would be sunk without it) and there's so much stuff on it that a ground-up reinstall of the OS and all apps would take a few days (the Internet is terribly slow here in South Africa, which doesn't help either).

I have always been a bit weary of upgrades, but this is the 21st century and things might not be that bad anymore.

What are your experiences with upgrades? I'm looking to go from Natty to Precise Pangolin, because the latter is an LTS version and should sort me out for a few years.

Thanks!

// FvW

Beans

Re: Upgrade or ground-up install? Your experiences please

If on Natty I will say a fresh install would be wise, as Unity and a lot of things have changed quite a bit and you should back up your user data.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Fresh installs here, if you do upgrade it and you have the room on a external I would clone it just to be safe. Clonezilla will save it in the size of the data, but the reinstall if needed has to be in an equal or bigger partition. You can just save the home if you want as well. Some use a separate home so the upgrade uses the same home.
    http://clonezilla.org/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

from natty oyu will have to first upgrade to oneiric.

Upgrade work fine as long as the system didn't get too customised by the user.

however upgrades also take longer. for example fresh install will take about 15-20 minutes while upgrade easilly well over an hour. since you have to make two installs that would take roughly 2 hours. well at leats on my mashicne. i think it's better to simply do a fresh install. backup file in home and all settings (hidden folders).
    not to mention that if you have slower connection downloading all packages for upgrade (2 times in your case) could take a while.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    from natty oyu will have to first upgrade to oneiric.
    I see. So a direct upgrade from Natty to Precise is not in the cards in any case?

Upgrade work fine as long as the system didn't get too customised by the user.
    Well, that's me out, then. One of the reasons why I have been thinking of giving the upgrade route a thought is all the tinkering I've done with my system, hoping that it would not require me to do all that again from scratch. Oh well.

however upgrades also take longer.
    Not if you take into account all the work I'll need to do to get a fresh install to the point where I have it now.

OK then... you guys all answered my question in no uncertain terms. Fresh install is is... (And all the drudgery that goes with it to get my system to the point where it need it.)

Thanks for the input, everyone!!

// FvW