Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Gazelle Professional Laptop Thread

Beans

Re: New Gazelle Professional Laptop Thread

I find all of this interesting, as I ordered a GAZP7 a little over a week ago. I will let everyone know how my experience goes when I receive mine.

Beans

Has anyone tried the Jupiter applet on the system76 laptops ??
    More info here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1854019
    perhaps this will solve the overheating issue? If you do try jupiter, please post experiences as others may benefit.

Regards

Beans

My Gazelle Professional from +System76 arrived last night, whoo-hoo!

My initial impressions are: the screen is amazing, the sound is great, the keyboard is roomy and feels good, and the machine orders of magnitude more powerful than my old laptop (which is a 4- or 5-year-old Pangolin Performance, also from S76). Its kind of ridiculous how fast it's booting up. On the down side: Firefox froze on it a couple of times (I just got an automatic software update for that and some other things, so hopefully that will stop happening); the fan is noisier than I would like (this is a thing that tends to bug me, I'm very sensitive to noise.)

I opted for the 95% NTSC matte screen, and I'm really glad I did! I was afraid the screen might seem blurry or the colors muted (because it's matte), but the screen is quite crisp and bright, the colors maybe a bit too bright, as in a bit oversaturated maybe? (My wife, who has better aesthetic discernment than I do, thinks so.) This could be some kind of calibration issue, I'll look into that at some point. I watched an HD episode of Portlandia, and it looked and sounded awesome. I also installed Limbo from the latest +Humble Bundle, and it was also gorgeous (although, sadly, silent...hopefully I'll be able to fix that.)

I'm definitely finding it a bit of an adjustment going from Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04. I think that I will like the new "Unity" interface a lot better once I get used to it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Thinkintuit View Post
    My Gazelle Professional from +System76 arrived last night, whoo-hoo!

My initial impressions are: the screen is amazing, the sound is great, the keyboard is roomy and feels good, and the machine orders of magnitude more powerful than my old laptop (which is a 4- or 5-year-old Pangolin Performance, also from S76). Its kind of ridiculous how fast it's booting up. On the down side: Firefox froze on it a couple of times (I just got an automatic software update for that and some other things, so hopefully that will stop happening); the fan is noisier than I would like (this is a thing that tends to bug me, I'm very sensitive to noise.)

I opted for the 95% NTSC matte screen, and I'm really glad I did! I was afraid the screen might seem blurry or the colors muted (because it's matte), but the screen is quite crisp and bright, the colors maybe a bit too bright, as in a bit oversaturated maybe? (My wife, who has better aesthetic discernment than I do, thinks so.) This could be some kind of calibration issue, I'll look into that at some point. I watched an HD episode of Portlandia, and it looked and sounded awesome. I also installed Limbo from the latest +Humble Bundle, and it was also gorgeous (although, sadly, silent...hopefully I'll be able to fix that.)

I'm definitely finding it a bit of an adjustment going from Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04. I think that I will like the new "Unity" interface a lot better once I get used to it.
    If the rest of the sound is working fine, then it might not be a problem; LIMBO is very quiet by design. It's supposed to make it more eerie. Definitely works, in my opinion!
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    If the rest of the sound is working fine, then it might not be a problem; LIMBO is very quiet by design. It's supposed to make it more eerie. Definitely works, in my opinion!
    Hey, thanks! After reading your comment I decided to play a little further, and realized there were subtle sounds here and there (e.g the sound of my character being repeatedly decapitated).

And you're right, it does make it more eerie. It's the visuals that really get me though--foggy and darkly dreamlike.

Beans

I recently ordered a System76 GazP7 as a development and presentation device. Upgrades include the higher-spec processor, full gamut screen, 8GB memory, and a 256GB SSD.

Here are the details. I will try to keep everyone posted:

• Base System $899.00
    • Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit
    • 5 Free GB of Ubuntu One Online Storage and Sync
    • 15.6" 1080p Full High Definition LED Backlit Display featuring 95% NTSC Color Gamut in Matte Finished Surface ( 1920 x 1080 ) $79.00
    • Intel HD Graphics 4000
    • 3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3720QM Processor ( 2.60GHz 6MB L3 Cache - 4 Cores plus Hyperthreading ) $165.00
    • 8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 4GB $45.00
    • 256 GB Crucial M4 Series SATA III 6 Gb/s Solid State Disk Drive $219.00
    • 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive
    • Intel Centrino 1030 - 802.11 b/g/n Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Combo Module
    • Targus 15.6" Clamshell Carrying Case $40.00
    • 1 Yr. Ltd. Warranty and 1 Yr. Technical Support
    • No Canada Warranty Shipping Coverage
    • No donation, thank you
    • California LCD Recycling Fee ( Over 15" ) +$8.00

I fully expect to use KDE as my primary desktop, although I'm not sure if I will do a clean install of Kubuntu or just add to the Ubuntu install.

Cheers!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I just ordered one as well! Details:

• Base System $899.00
    • Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit
    • 5 Free GB of Ubuntu One Online Storage and Sync
    • 15.6" 1080p Full High Definition LED Backlit Display featuring 95% NTSC Color Gamut in Matte Finished Surface ( 1920 x 1080 ) $79.00
    • Intel HD Graphics 4000
    • 3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor ( 2.30GHz 6MB L3 Cache - 4 Cores plus Hyperthreading )
    • 8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 4GB $45.00
    • 128 GB Crucial M4 Series SATA III 6 Gb/s Solid State Disk Drive $95.00
    • 500 GB 7200 RPM HDD + Caddy Case $95.00
    • Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Combo Module $20.00
    • No Bag
    • 1 Yr. Ltd. Warranty and 1 Yr. Technical Support
    • No Canada Warranty Shipping Coverage
    • No donation, thank you

Now I will just have to wait a month for it to be built and shipped to Sweden.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Quote Originally Posted by z_mikowski View Post
    • 3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3720QM Processor ( 2.60GHz 6MB L3 Cache - 4 Cores plus Hyperthreading ) $165.00

I'm curious what factors helped you decide to upgrade the processor to the next step?

I recently purchased a Lemur with the i7 that comes standard for the Gazelle. (below)

3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor ( 2.30GHz 6MB L3 Cache - 4 Cores plus Hyperthreading )

I figured it would provide better performance with an SSD and those extra 2 cores didn't hurt either

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by joe4ska View Post
    [/LIST]
    I'm curious what factors helped you decide to upgrade the processor to the next step?

I recently purchased a Lemur with the i7 that comes standard for the Gazelle. (below)

3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor ( 2.30GHz 6MB L3 Cache - 4 Cores plus Hyperthreading )

I figured it would provide better performance with an SSD and those extra 2 cores didn't hurt either
    I upgraded because the speed differential might be useful for processor intensive tasks like compiling while the price bump wasn't too onerous, and besides, I was "satisficing" (make a reasonably informed decision without knowing all the facts).

But since you forced me , here are a couple of justification
    links:

http://compare-processors.com/core-i...7-3720qm/4693/

And

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/336...0QM_(PGA).html

The bottom line is I should see around 10-15% performance boost for CPU intensive tasks, and about a 10% performance bump in graphics. Seems reasonable, but not fantastic .

As for the 2.7GHz part, it seemed like a small bump in performance for a much larger delta in cost. This was an educated guess, but now that you've put me on the spot, it is now confirmed: http://compare-processors.com/ivy-br...7-3820qm/4642/

And I like to live on the edge without bleeding.

Cheers, Mike

Beans

Another review of the processor. It looks pretty impressive for its price range. And me thinks it kicks my desktops 4 core 3.7GHz Phenom II to the curb (sigh).

http://www.techspot.com/review/535-i...ore-i7-3720qm/

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast