Thread: auto update question

Beans

auto update question

12.04 with xfce
    when i go to update the software, security updates, distro updates and stuff like that show up automatically but how come the applications i have installed on the computer do not show up with the other available updates, for instance a new version of kdenlive, gimp, audacity, blender and my other apps do not show up with the other available updates, instead i have to search the web and try to figure out how to install the updates myself
    why is this ?? is there anyway i can make it so the computer will search find and display any available updates for all of my apps ??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: auto update question

The repos are not updated with the newer versions of some apps right away. It can sometimes take months. If you want the bleeding edge versions of something, you're better of adding the corresponding PPA for that app, if available (google the name of app followed by PPA). Then you will get updates as the devs make them.
    Dell Inspiron 1764 Laptop, Intel CoreTM i5 520M), 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz, 512MB ATI Mobility RadeonTM HD4330 Integrated Intel HD.