Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04;Samba Fast, then slow???

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu 10.04;Samba Fast, then slow???

Quote Originally Posted by Thegmandrive View Post
    Mount Command Looks Like
    Code:
    mount -t smbfs //user@server/sharename share
    This doesn't look right to me. The basic mount command should look like this
    Code:
    mount -t cifs //server/share mount_point
    See
    Code:
    man mount.cifs
    Then I used this command to copy
    Code:
    cp -Rpv Documents "Documents backup"
    I am using a gigabit Ethernet Intel PWLA8391GT PRO/1000 GT PCI Network Adapter. And I am using Cat5E
    Cat5E is marginal at gigabit speeds.
    Before coming to this forum, I did try some extra research and did try a couple configuration Changes. Based on an Article by Samba
    For Example,I have tried adding this criteria at one point
    TCP_NODELAY
    SO_KEEPALIVE
    IPTOS_LOWDELAY

Adding this criteria did in fact increase the speeds, but then it drops again. I even tried at one point setting the socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
    but that actually decreased the speed. I just can't figure out why it will transfer at 34 megs a second for 2 min... and then it drops to 2megs a second for the rest of the time, and then I have to restart my entire system to get the 34 meg speeds again.
    You might want to consider monitoring the system with dstat and iperf during the transfer.

I have to agree with @lukeiamyourfather, I don't think Samba (used correctly) is your problem. I have no experience with ESXI so I can't comment on that.

Beans

Hi,

What does iotop -o -P show when samba is "slow".

I've seen on my backend server (16Gb ram,8 core, 8Tb RAID5 array) that the samba deamon sudenly goes to a very hgh IOWait reading something from the array (even when just writing from another computer).

After a couple of minutes the iowait drops to a "normal" value and the wite speed goes back up to 30-50M/Byte sec.

When transfering large amounts of data (>30Gb) I usually use ftp as that seems to be much quicker than samba.

Regards
    Ian Dobson
    Walking on water and writing software to specification is easy if they're frozen.

My corner of the internet http://www.planet-ian.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,

What does iotop -o -P show when samba is "slow".
    I will try that sometime tonight and report back,

You might want to consider monitoring the system with dstat and iperf during the transfer.
    I will try dstat, and I will also try to to mount the share as you suggested I will report.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, I was using Samba 3.4, and I decided, since nothing else was working, to try and update to 3.6

I have now tested transferring over 20 gigs, and only saw a few minor drops in speed, but the average stayed around 34 megabytes a second. Woot!! another thing I noticed is that after the transfer, samba now releases unused memory, which i don't think it was doing before.

I am on 10.04 so I did need to compile from source to upgrade to 3.6, so I'm not sure I would suggest this as a "fix" to people seeing as 3.6 is not officially supported by Ubuntu repo's yet.

thanks everyone for your help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12