Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does deja dup on 12.04 work at all?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unhappy Does deja dup on 12.04 work at all?

I'm a little unclear after searching through the bugs - but is anyone able to use Deja Dup on 12.04 at all? I've tried it with a fresh install using U1 and it backs up manually OK, but if you put it on a schedule it crashes with an unknown error about SSL timeout after a while. Same again (different error) with S3.

If I try running the same backup using duplicity on the CLUI it just core dumps immediately.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Does deja dup on 12.04 work at all?

Quote Originally Posted by gilgongo View Post
    I'm a little unclear after searching through the bugs - but is anyone able to use Deja Dup on 12.04 at all? I've tried it with a fresh install using U1 and it backs up manually OK, but if you put it on a schedule it crashes with an unknown error about SSL timeout after a while. Same again (different error) with S3.

If I try running the same backup using duplicity on the CLUI it just core dumps immediately.

Not sure, I use grsync, it saves in a accessible format only when asked to.

It is just a gui for rsync.

Beans
    Distro

I could use grsync, but I'd rather use my 5GB of free space on U1 (and I'm not sure if grsync does incrementals).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I could use grsync, but I'd rather use my 5GB of free space on U1 (and I'm not sure if grsync does incrementals).
    It does it will save in the same file and remove or keep the old stuff depending on the settings.

So say you had a download you have saved somewhere else, or don't need it will be removed if gone on the grsync run if it was there before, but gone from your setup being saved.

Both I believe are basically grsync gui's, I like grsync really because it saves as is you can open it and it looks the same, I use it to save my home.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by wilee-nilee View Post
    It does it will save in the same file and remove or keep the old stuff depending on the settings.

So say you had a download you have saved somewhere else, or don't need it will be removed if gone on the grsync run if it was there before, but gone from your setup being saved.

Both I believe are basically grsync gui's, I like grsync really because it saves as is you can open it and it looks the same, I use it to save my home.
    I agree fully with what I think wilee-nilee is saying.

I have been using grsync for a long time now (about 4 years or more) to backup my home and it has always been an incremental backup, with only files that are new, or have been changed in some way being copied across to my external hard disk.

Every so often I need to sift through the backups and remove those files I am certain I will never need again, or to purge those that I have perhaps moved in my file system, and would otherwise end up with duplicates, but that is never too much of a job.

There is an option in grsync to delete all files not on the source, ie, my home, but I do not want to use that as it will also delete files I do want to keep, but that I have removed from my home to save space.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Distro

OK so a I take it that this is a "no" to my original question. Deja Dup doesn't work on 12.04. Kinda strange as it's installed by default.

Oh well.

Beans
    Hidden!

OK so a I take it that this is a "no" to my original question. Deja Dup doesn't work on 12.04. Kinda strange as it's installed by default.

Oh well.
    Actually, I can't answer that question as I have not tried deja-dup on any ubuntu version, and I am not yet using 12.04, just testing it on a small extra partition of my desktop machine which will not run unity 3D, so I'm using the classic desktop with gnome panel, etc etc.

It's looking good so far, and I can forget I'm using gnome 3 and all that it entails, as it is so very like gnome 2. It maybe is the next port of call for me, rather than xubuntu or lubuntu, which I am also trying on the same desktop machine. Yes, I have 5 OSs on the machine, but have kept their homes separate from each other, and justv link all my data files from my main OS (10.04) home partition to the others.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Distro

I am using 12.04 and do backups with Luckybackup, Back in Time, as well as DejaDup. All three work fine even though I only have DejaDup on a scheduled backup. However, I really can't ever see me restoring with DejaDup, as the other two backup to a folder, on an external HD, that is the mirror of "home", so if I screw something up or do a clean install, then I drag it on over.
    Colin
    Registered Linux User #318277
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 25648

Beans
    Distro

its worked fine for me on 12.04, it works doing back ups to ubuntu one like it should and restores no issues ..

Beans
    Distro

I would like to do off site backups, but out here in the 3rd world (rural) there is no such thing as broadband. What I do have is wireless internet, however with the speeds of 34 KBps and 1500 ms latency, I refuse to call it broadband (no matter what Xplornet says) and call it wireless "dialup".
    Colin
    Registered Linux User #318277
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 25648

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast