Thread: Firefox 12+ on Maverick

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Firefox 12+ on Maverick

Have updates stopped on Maverick for firefox? Is there any repository out there with version 12 available?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Firefox 12+ on Maverick

Maverick reached EOL on April 10th.

As far as I understand it, the firefox-stable PPA has been done away with because Mozilla is going to be updating FF monthly. So I can't direct you there.

I would highly recommend a fresh install (or, if you want to go the difficult route, you can update in stages -- but that often causes problems) of 12.04. Even if you were using 10.04 LTS, you'd need to wait until the first "dot" release of 12.04 LTS is released (if it hasn't been already) because LTS to LTS updates require that the "dot" release is out (say 12.04.1).
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro

I swore I'd never update again after the last few fiascos so if it comes down to it I'll just stick with version 11.0 I think.

I guess building from source would be possible, if a pain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I would like to know why everybody suggest to install newer version of Ubuntu. If everything works for you why would you like to upgrade operating system?

Can someone please provide me some examples why to upgrade operating system, because I didn't find the answer. The only reason why would I upgrade OS is because of newer programs (for example Gimp 2.8 ).

I am using Ubuntu 10.10 and I must say that I am pretty happy with OS, even if it's outdated. It works for me fast enough (old computer) and I don't have any problems at all.
    Last edited by GreatDanton; May 22nd, 2012 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Typing mistake

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A QUANTAL QUETZAL IS...BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETZEL AND I LIKE PRETZEL

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDanton View Post
    Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I would like to know why everybody suggest to install newer version of Ubuntu. If everything works for you why would you like to upgrade operating system?

Can someone please provide me some examples why to upgrade operating system, because I didn't find the answer. The only reason why would I upgrade OS is because of newer programs (for example Gimp 2.8 ).

I am using Ubuntu 10.10 and I must say that I am pretty happy with OS, even if it's outdated. It works for me fast enough (old computer) and I don't have any problems at all.
    Because security Is always changing and never stands still, So why the attackers and those out to exploit vulnerabilities get more sophisticated so should you by way of installing new Operating System. Because when It comes to security, It should NEVER be compromised.
    Last edited by scottishbloke; May 22nd, 2012 at 10:04 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

^ This
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro

I personally think the security risks are way overrated. The chance of being attacked due to some obscure security flaw in Ubuntu is minuscule compared with the <>100% chance that the upgrade will break something major and cost you hours, if not days, to fix.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pickarooney View Post
    ... that the upgrade will break something major and cost you hours, if not days, to fix.
    True, but unlike the upgrade a fresh install takes half an hour and is almost guaranteed to work.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.