View Poll Results: What smiley would you prefer?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I like the orange smileys.

44 61.11%
  • No, please keep the old ones.

28 38.89%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Theme: Smileys

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: New Theme: Smileys

Quote Originally Posted by Technoviking View Post
    I can keep both, but one will be default and with the common key bindings. Yeah no animation .

T-V
    I'd like both.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans

Re: New Theme: Smileys

One thing I have been working on is new smileys to match the new theme, and decided to create a poll to to see what people think. None of the new smileys are animated, just some created to blend in better, but it is more orange.

This poll is for feedback only and is non-binding.
    I like the the new smiles. But getting a bit to much orange in the theme. And I like orange
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Don't like them at all. The old ones are multi-colored and textured, and they look much better. The old smileys are pretty standard in a lot of forums, and it's easier to tell what they mean. Change for the sake of change is not always better.
    I like the old ones. The new ones don't really look "right" imho.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!

+1 for both if possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by codingman View Post
    I don't think many people understand this one:
    It happens from time to time here in the forum, usually with words rather than pictures....
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

One thing I have been working on is new smileys to match the new theme, and decided to create a poll to to see what people think. None of the new smileys are animated, just some created to blend in better, but it is more orange.

This poll is for feedback only and is non-binding.
    The new smilies are awesome. Having them in Empathy/Pidgin as well would be even better.

Beans

How about deleting some of the old smilies and add some of the orange ones to the mix...?

The orange ones IMO are ok albeit plain.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Don't like them at all. The old ones are multi-colored and textured, and they look much better. The old smileys are pretty standard in a lot of forums, and it's easier to tell what they mean. Change for the sake of change is not always better.
    I'd have to agree.

Agreed.

Beans

Can't say I am a fan of the new ones.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

@Technoviking, although I quite like what you have been able to do with the designs of most of those you've posted, I have to say I much prefer the old smileys. I believe the problem with the new ones is the colour. White on orange does not give you the same subjective depth of contrast you get with black on yellow, and the brain is less able to reconstruct a face from the icon and hence infer the emotion being conveyed.

Also - there are no eyebrows on the new ones. Eyebrows are a very important facial feature for conveying emotion.

Another point - if we have both sets of emoticons available, I think we need new key bindings for the new ones. Assigning old key-bindings to the new smileys would cause new smileys to appear on the 11 million+ old existing posts, which could change the intentions of the original poster, which is wrong, imo.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast