Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FREE or SMALL PRICE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: FREE or SMALL PRICE

There are too many free and open source program for GNU (ubuntu) that are free so
    i think donation is better than selling in GNU living with donation is not posible

Beans

More input:

FWIW that "small price" idea is something you need to drop. Commercial software nearly always sells for what the developers think of as a "small price." Competition and capitalism pretty much make sure that nobody gets out of line on prices without having a killer app or at least a critical feature which can be had nowhere else.

The cost is pretty much always dictated by the cost of development and by the number of copies which can be sold, and by the amount of money/time/whatever resource which can be saved by using the software. It all comes down to Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) and Return On Investment (ROI)

Some software costs a boatload of money (let's say more than $100,000 USD per site) but saves the buyer two boatloads. That's a high TCO and even higher ROI, which turns out as a big plus to the buyer. That cost comes from a high development cost for sophisticated software and a small number of places the software is feasible to use.

Some software sells for $35 and gives great convenience for end users, and so you let them download it for free, let the timer run for a month and then make them buy the license.

Other software, (Linux for example) is free but has a steep learning curve and some restrictions on what you can do with it. Even though it's zero cost for the software, the TCO goes up because of the extra time needed to maintain it and to figure out how to use it. Remember you're doing this "on the clock." Even if you're at home the time you spend is time you could have spent doing something else. Linux users tend to be people who like messing around with their computers on their spare time anyway, so they tend to discount that time spent. However, effectively learning Linux allows the ROI to make everything worthwhile.

Audience: Not many people or companies make money "from" Linux. There are lots which make money "with" Linux. Nobody, especially the earlier contributors in Open Source, feels that you can't make money "with" Open Source. You don't sell Linux, you sell a solution. An appliance or a system which performs a task. Linux is a detail which is uninteresting to the guy with the check book. A whole lot of companies use LAMP servers (Linux, Apache, Mysql, PHP) without having the slightest idea what that is, and who won't have time for you if you try to tell them.

They will, however, buy some hardware and pay you to put a web server or database on it, without a second thought. They don't care if it's a LAMP server.

If you want simple cross platform games, go for html5. Every browser supports it to some degree, and smart phones and Linux boxes seem to be ahead of the curve. I recently went through an online HTML5 tutorial and nearly everything worked on my smart phone.
    Help stamp out MBR partitions. Use GPT instead!

Beans

And yet again, since I forgot to mention the main reason for my second post. Sorry.

If you're going to get a job as a software developer, then you need to be clear with your employer about your intentions and their contract. Some employers are so bold as to claim all software you write or even design while employed at their company to be solely their property.

Some employers are fine or even enthusiastic about Open Source. Some are terrified of it, and some are antagonistic.

You need to define what OS projects you're currently involved in, which ones you're interested in and what sort of projects you anticipate helping with. You might want a clause which states that you can do whatever you want as long as it has nothing to do with any of the code you have access to at work, or that you will notify your employer every time you get involved with a new project.
    Help stamp out MBR partitions. Use GPT instead!

Beans

The Ubuntu market is growing and it has actually been proven that Linux users donate the most money with small amounts of people compared to the other OS users. I guess its because we have all that extra cash from not having to buy everything under the sun.

People in the Linux community don't mind paying for things. The whole Open Source/Free Software movement isn't about not paying. It is about giving the people their rights. Think about that.

I bought lots of stuff from the Ubuntu software center. Some I know I won't play around with much, but I do it to show the love to people supporting Linux.
    Asus G73JW ROG-A3B7M
    Intel Core i7 || 16GB RAM || 802.11n+BT || 2 x 500GB Hybrid Drives || Nvidia GTX 460M

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Thanks for the new replies

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12