Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: GMA500 (Poulsbo) gma500_gfx

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: GMA500 (Poulsbo) gma500_gfx

Quote Originally Posted by sciurus View Post
    I wanted to report the state of my Sony Vaio P series VGN-P788K. I tested with a 12.04 32-bit install with all updates as of 2012-05-28 applied. The kernels used were 3.2.0-24 from precise and 3.4.0-3 from quantal.

Graphics
    • 3.2: Boots to black screen. Switching to another tty then back to tty7 brings up graphics. They are always broken; only the upper half of the screen is used.
    • 3.2 with console=tty1: Switching to another tty then back to tty7 brings up graphics. They are usually correct, but sometimes only the left two-thirds of the screen is used.
    • 3.4: Switching to another tty then back to tty7 brings up graphics. They are always correct.
    • 3.4 with console=tty1: No different than 3.4 without this option.

Suspend and Resume

• 3.2: Suspend and resume work out of the box.
    • 3.4: Suspend does not work. Although the screen goes blank, the laptop never suspends. I tried all the possible quirk options to pm-suspend but none changed this behavior.
    You probably want to file bug reports on that behavior. I can not repeat you black screen / distortion problem and the suspend issues sounds like a regression.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

3.4: Switching to another tty then back to tty7 brings up graphics. They are always correct.
    3.4: Suspend does not work. Although the screen goes blank, the laptop never suspends. I tried all the possible quirk options to pm-suspend but none changed this behavior.
    The first problem can be beaten with some workarounds like disabling plymouth and changing the resolution in grub and i915-connected files.

The second is a regression, I have the same problem, wrote about it in my previous post... Someone can post a bug at kernel.org as i don't feel like i understand how to do this and i have the skills

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Switching to another tty then back to tty7 brings up graphics. They are always correct.
    Remove "splash" from boot options, for me that helped on 3.2.0 and 3.3.5.

Beans

Improving performance on Acer A0751h

I also have an Acer A0751h and the boot options bodhi.zazen suggested worked great. However, I have some questions regarding performance.

I can't watch videos online because sometimes the video and sound get out of sync, the video freezes, and things like that.
    Are you able to watch videos? If so, what other configurations changes have you made?

Have you tried programming on this computer?

I'm just trying to get the best performance possible because even Gmail takes a little to long to load...

Thanks
    Last edited by mozphere; May 31st, 2012 at 02:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Improving performance on Acer A0751h

Quote Originally Posted by mozphere View Post
    I also have an Acer A0751h and the boot options bodhi.zazen suggested worked great. However, I have some questions regarding performance.

I can't watch videos online because sometimes the video and sound get out of sync, the video freezes, and things like that.
    Are you able to watch videos? If so, what other configurations changes have you made?

Have you tried programming on this computer?

I'm just trying to get the best performance possible because even Gmail takes a little to long to load...

Thanks
    Watching online video (in browser) doesn't work very well in 12.04. In fact, anything related to multimedia or to rendering heavy web content would greatly benefit from hardware acceleration, which the combination of gma500 and psb_gfx lacks completely.
    Programming shouldn't pose a performance problem, unless you'll be compiling something the size of the Linux kernel. It's mostly just plain text, and if you are happy with the screen real estate, by all means, try it.

Beans

Hallo,

can the GMA500_gfx module control multi displays with different resolutions?

Beans

Re: Improving performance on Acer A0751h

mozphere,mikewhatever,
    Videos from Youtube are working on 360p and more with flashvideoreplacer and mplayer
    with flash it's crap
    and without mplayer it's buggy
    should I explain this easy modifications?

Beans

Just loaded the latest Ubuntu 12.04 to my late model Sony Vaio P-Series microlaptop (VPCP11SKX) which has the Intel GMA500 onboard graphics. When I trialed the OS from the USB stick, it booted up well and everything seemed to work. On installing, the problem is the screen.

At first, it booted up to a black screen after intially showing the splash screen. By pressing F1 during boot, it would then randomly boot to different screen sizes or to the correct screen resolution ( 1600x768 ) but using only half the screen.

I figured out that by logging out and logging in when only half the screen resolution came up that it would come out using the whole screen, as in the trial.

When I look at system details, it tells me the Graphics are "unknown"

How do I load the gma500 driver and will that fix my screen problem
    Last edited by bodhi.zazen; June 2nd, 2012 at 02:59 PM. Reason: fixed smiles

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by docpark View Post
    How do I load the gma500 driver and will that fix my screen problem
    Did you not read the first post ?

See : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...eoCardsPoulsbo

Is there some step on the wiki page you did not understand ?
    Last edited by bodhi.zazen; June 2nd, 2012 at 03:03 PM.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

I know this is a little off topic but....Thank you Alan Cox for developing this driver!

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast