Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: thunderbird failed to find the settings for your email account

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Shoreditch, London
    Beans
    1
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: thunderbird failed to find the settings for your email account

    Thanks Houmie!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Beans
    174
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: thunderbird failed to find the settings for your email account

    Quote Originally Posted by Squeakees View Post
    Thanks Houmie!

    Hey you are welcome. I think this is the first time I could help someone on Ubuntu forums. I am a new convert myself.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Beans
    3

    Re: thunderbird failed to find the settings for your email account

    It worked splendidly from the beginning on my pc at home, but my pc here at work (I run ubuntu 12.10 through wubi install) shows the same problem over and over. I've tried many solutions, but still, it doesn't seem to work.

    The problem is also related to my not being able to use google talk in Empathy... I can create the online account, it seems to accept everything I enter, but when I launch Empathy, it just won't login...

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Beans
    4

    Re: thunderbird failed to find the settings for your email account

    Hi all,

    Just to share my experiences on this problem: Houmie's solution worked for me. I was fooled by the thunderbird account detection interface. After it couldn't find the mail servers automatically, the screen appears in that you can enter addresses manually. In that screen I took the values of the dropdowns at the beginning of the IMAP and SMTP lines as the first part of the mail server addresses. Through this thread I realized that was not how it was meant. They mean the mail protocols used for incoming and outgoing mail. My employer's mail server addresses however also use imap and smtp as the first part of their addresses. That's how I was 'fooled'.
    Clearly an interface usability issue which could be resolved by removing the contents of the 'Server hostname' field altogether or maybe just remove the first '.', so that one doesn't read the two fields as 'one'. Other solution could be to clearly designate the dropdowns are for selecting mail protocols.

    Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps to 'defool' others.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •