Thread: AVG free will not install

Beans

Question AVG free will not install

Hello All,

I have a problem that I'm hoping one of you smarter geeks may be able to help me with.

I recently tried to install a linux friendly version of avg free anti-virus.

When I tried to download it, it said that there was an error. However, avg is listed as "installed" according to the software centre.

When i tried to run the following command in the terminal is said "fail" (literally):

sudo /etc/init.d/avgd start

Can somebody tell me how to fix this problem?

Beans

Re: AVG free will not install

I've read all over the web that lots of people have lots of problems with it. I've seen very few solutions that actually work at all for this problem. Several months ago I played with it for about two weeks and only had partial sucess. I never got it working 100% correctly. I finally uninstalled it.

But, the question is why do you feel that you need an AV? There are currently no know linux viruses in the wild.

Now, if you are going to be sending a lot of files to a win machine and want an extra layer of protection for it there are several available solutions. Each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

If you let us know what you're using it for it will be easier for folks here to recommend a solution that would fit your needs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

avast has a unices av for free, just needs a file tweak to run. Gotta keep an eye out for false positive no matter what you scan though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

BitDefender works great as well as Avast. Both are free.
    PopularPages A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )